1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stakeing machine

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by m, May 19, 2010.

1. m

m Member

have this old stakeing machine i'd like to get rid of, does anyone know if it has any value, or is anyone interested in it, am thinking it was used for leather tanning originally
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Check with LAM, it would fit in well with the old scary tanning equipment he's looking for!

3. LAM

LAM Semper Fidelis, Served with pride. USMC

Nice piece M ,

I believe this was like a unit I used for stretching the edge of a thick skin and buffing the shaved side. In a shop I worked at in the 80's, we had one some what like that one, but like this one, it was designed for the hair off tanning leather it was not user friendly. We had some parts from this type of machine back then and made a makesfit stand with a pedal to bring the leather strip under the hide too the wheel ever pushing the skin unto the wheel paddles as it would spin at 100 mph away from you, but it didn't last long it would put rust stains on the hide or pull it out of your hand and get twisted up in the wheel, it wasn't meant to be a two part operation. But when it was working right you could get a nice flat edge on the hide that would stack on top of each other neatly and uniformed.

It was replaced by a sand paper sander press. Not as scary. But I have to agree with Keith some of the tools and machine back then looked like they came out of a Vincent Price horror movie. :eek:

What do you think you want for it $$$ Maybe I can do some tanning for you to compensate??

I still need to talk to my bothers also are we on the same page with what this unit can do or suppose to do, lets think about it, this thing must weigh a ton.

LAM

4. m

m Member

dont want much for it , kinduv hate to scrap it if someone has a use for it, yes it does weigh a ton

5. I'm actually wondering if it's not really a small glazing jack that's been converted to a small version of the old Slocum staker.

6. LAM

guy's ,

I have a few fellows looking into it. Lets try to solve who, what ,where ,when ,and why.

What a mystery. Old shaver what says he????

LAM

7. m

m Member

heres a couple more pics of the other side, there is a heavy rod that goes to the front and an extra box of parts, im guessing there was a way to hold the hide mechanicaly at one time , it is hard to hold it by hand though it can be done and it does work on a large hide as a staker
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. LAM

M:

Check out you tube, Leather how its made . They have a machine like this one used to glazing the leather.

LAM

9. m

m Member

here is a video of a machine like this in action
    http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29907-dirty-jobs-staking-machine-video.htm

10. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Where are you located m?

11. m

m Member

i'm in western north dakota

12. Tanner 101

Tanner 101 New Member

This machine is really for hair off tanning .It stretches the hide to make it soft and plyable.After looking at the pictures ,I have to say its in pretty good shape.Unfortunately I don't really see a market for it there is a stretcher machine that gives you the same results and can be used hair on and hair off.But its still a cool machine.I would love to see it at working.I now my brother LAM like it .Good Luck

13. Hartung

Hartung New Member

Which one is it? Any link? Thanks!

14. Dude Perry

Dude Perry New Member

do you still have the stakeing machine

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Hopefully after 9 yrs it’s sold

16. Dude Perry

Dude Perry New Member

do you have a photo of this machine

17. What kind of a staker are you looking for Dude?

18. Dude Perry

Dude Perry New Member

I was just reading about that machine someone had that stretches the hides, I seen a photo of a slocum staker a very old machine and was wondering if it was one of those.

19. Dude Perry

Dude Perry New Member