1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Roman VOV 555 Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CarlScroggins, May 20, 2010.

1. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

I bought some Roman VOV 555 to try out for 2 reasons;

1. I heard a lot of good things about it on here.
    2. My Sherwin Williams store here don't stock Dynamite 111 for MP's paste.

This stuff don't seem to have very much tack to it, so how long do I need to leave everything pinned up? I have a deer that's been pinned up for 4 days and when I try to remove the pins in the brisket area, the hide pulls away. I roughed up the form very good and applied a good even coat of paste to it. Can anything be mixed with it to improve the tack? Since it's not clay based I'm scared to try mixing powdered hide paste with it. :-\

2. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

I use Romans 555 and I really like it. The only things that I card are my ear edges and I will sometimes have to put a T pin in the front corner of the eye. This is only when I don't thin this area well enough.

After mounting my deer, I check over him everyday, twice a day working out air bubbles and making sure it's drying the way I want it to.

Hope this helps. Are you using tanned skin or DP.

Michael

3. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    Maybe your cape was too wet in the brisket area? I would either unhook from the back and try to get some hide paste in there that way or use a syringe to get some more paste in there.

4. My deer are dry in 4 days with 555, no pins anywhere. As mentioned already, if the cape was too wet it could cause this problem.

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Same here. It's usually sucked down to the form pretty good here by the second day. The only time I pin anything is if it's a little tight.

6. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

I know some of you may say it's not needed but I add about 2 or 3 lbs of Dextrin / 5 gallon to mine. Its thickens it some and gives it more tack.

7. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    It has more "tack" than you think.
    I use it almost everyday and as far as whitetails, I pin nothing.
    Follow the other posts about your cape, good input.

8. If you add dextrin to it be sure to add a little bactericide or you will get mold. I use it strait with no pins and no problems. I also agree that if the hide is to wet it can cause slow adhesion with almost any paste.

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I use the stuff on earliners without carding etc and get no drumming. I think others are correct with the wet hide suggestion.

10. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Cover your form with it and leave it set for an hour and then say it has no tack. Even if your cape is wet, it will "tack up" as it dries out. Keep pressing the form details.

11. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

And turn the mount upside down and give any moisture the chance of moving out of the brisket area.

12. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My first thoughts were how tacky it seemed. I pressed everything down and it was there for good. It's the first mount that I've done with no pins anywhere.

13. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Was it mixed well in the container before you used it? I have not had any problems with it. Maybe if it was in a pail unstirred the denser stuff could have sank to the bottom like with paints? Not sure if thats the case, Just a thought.

14. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    I've been using it for a year with no problems, I think it tacks down really well I tumble all my hides in corncob grit and saw dust before mounting they adhere very well.

15. Man, I must've gotten a bum pail of it because it is not working worth crap for me! It seems to do ok in the facial region, but I'm getting very little adhesion everywhere else but the face. Think I'm going to go back to Derma-grip. Never had a problem with that, just harder to get ahold of.

16. A couple things I have found using 555.

1. You have to mix up from the bottom, it tends to settle a bit.
    2. Work out of a 1 gallon bucket, its seems to help thicken it. At least in my experience.
    3. The dryer the cape the better, especially when using it for ear adhesive.
    4. Rough the form well.

If the cape fits the form and you follow these simple steps you should have great results with 555.

17. Thanks Matt, I'll have to try that. Sounds like the dampness of my hide is most likely my culprit (I like to mount my capes on the wetter side). I've also been skimming the paste off the top so I'll try mixing it up as well. Appreciate the tips! Don't want this bucket to go to waste...Lord knows I spent enough for it :p

18. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

That may very well be my problem as well. I stirred it with a paint stirring stick. That was probably not good enough. Cape was fairly wet also. Thanks for the tips!

19. red oak

red oak New Member

To me it seams to work better when applied on the thin side drys faster and sticks better . If you still don't like it Leslie bring it over and i,ll buy what you have left.

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

It actually says that on the Sherwin Williams site too.