1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Live bird with eye issues...

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KClem, May 20, 2010.

1. KClem

KClem New Member

Hopefully one of you smart bird folks can help me. Here's a photo of a bird that was feeding at one of my wife's bird feeders a day or two ago. Do any of you have any idea what is wrong with its eyes?

Attached Files:

2. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

its a infection, but i wouldn't worry about it, it happens, and its not bothering the bird. Its eating, and it can fly.

it just part of life.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that little one's days are numbered. I don't remember what that disease is called but its very common in finches, especially house finches. They can linger until their heads become swollen up like a ping pong ball and they become completely blind. Edit: *looked it up* It's called avian conjunctivitis, or mycoplasma conjunctivitis, or "house finch disease".
    It's also very contagious and can become an epidemic among birds that hang out in groups. Platform-style feeders are bad about helping to spread it, but if they are regularly wiped down with a 10% bleach solution that will help minimize the contagion.
    (1 part bleach, 9 parts water.)

4. KClem

KClem New Member

Thanks for the responses. I agree that little bird is not gonna be around long. I was able to get to within three feet to photograph it. I'm not nearly as stealthy as the neighborhood cats so its days are numbered. Feeder is brand new, but I think it will come down tomorrow for a good cleaning and a week or so break just for safe measure. I think the little thing is a female house finch, if it were a house sparrow I would have grabbed it and tried to mount it like the Euro guys do those little tweeter birds.