1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Fish - Steelhead

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by michiganhunter88, May 21, 2010.

1. Hey everyone. Never thought I'd be posting in the fish category. I've always been partial to mammals and birds, and said I would never do fish. But I wanted to try one and I love it! Now hooked on it! Anyways here is my first fish - steelhead. Talk about a challenging first fish, though. Had a real fun time with this one. Had to paint, strip off, paint, strip off like 3 times to get it as close to my references as I could. When doing this, some of the fins curled a tad. Used liquid scales for attempting to scale tip. But I would really appriciate any comments or critiques to help improve my skills for fish in the future. Thanks again and as always, I learned so much off this site. Thanks all you pros for passing on the knowledge! -Nick

Attached Files:

2. Is that a repro head. The paint scheme and body look great to me.

3. Another one. Any yes Ross, it is a repro head. From what I learned, you always use repro on Trout and Salmon. Thanks for the comment!

Attached Files:

4. I think adding some teeth would add alot to this fish.

5. One more close up

Attached Files:

6. j_cbivens

j_cbivens Member

Looks very good.bWhat type of pen or marker did you use to put on the spots?

7. First attempt???? You are off to a great start!!

8. Thanks a lot for the comments guys! I appriciate it.

9. j_cbivens, I didn't use a pen or marker for the spots. I used a size 3 "finer" tipped brush and dipped into black acrylic paint for every spot. I felt like I had more control that way than using the airbrush for every spot.

10. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Wish my first would have looked like that! Great job,keep rocking!

11. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

need some depth on the head and scales would look better by airbrush. put the spot in betweeen the scales scales . Use of some metalics on the head would help give depth nice job for first.