1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Why I won't do neck mounts.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wayne R, May 22, 2010.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I recently talked a hunter out of having a neck mount done. He was pleased with the work, but apparently more than I thought, since he wanted to send me a photo. This is the photo he sent, and I think it does a good job to compare the two.

[​IMG]

2. I did a neck stub mount for a guy. I gave him instructions on how to cape a deer for a full shoulder mount the next time. Well, this year he brought enough cape in for only half a brisket mount. I'm hoping this Fall he will bring enough cape for a full shoulder mount. The excess cut off styrofoam makes great bases for other mounts.

3. LOL Wayne, just goes to show some people do not like change to much. Or in this case they do lol ;)

4. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Wayne, I could'nt agree with you more! I hate that neck mount look and try my darnest to talk them out of doing them, Alot of the old timers still like them.

5. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

You have to tell those dudes to bring enough hide to include the tail. Sounds like overkill but it works, sort of like the folks on here that say,"it takes five minutes..." when its more like 30.

6. Jimmy I had a guy bring me one this year that had the entire back all the way to the tail but the brisket was cut way high and I still had to sew it up. It turned out fine but people just dont use common sense.

7. shammy

shammy New Member

I understand exactly what you guys are talking about. Had a customer this year bring a deer for a head mount. He said he wanted a head mount cause the shoulder mounts just take up to much room. I said you mean a neck mount and he said yea. When I opened up the bag it was just hacked off 6" below the white patch. What a mess. He said he had one of his tenant's cape it. He was dead set against buying another cape. So I gave him his neck mount, shortest neck you ever seen. Had to shorten the neck on form by 8" just so I had enough. I hate them as well, but he got what he wanted. Some people.

8. The customer is always right. But it ain't always pretty. :p

That shoulder mount BLOWS those other two out of the water. :)

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

No they are not! This is one business where that rule of thumb does not always apply.

10. No they are not! This is one business where that rule of thumb does not always apply.
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more. If the customer was always right, we would be mounting deer for $125 because Billy Joe Jim Bob 2 towns over does them for that much and they "look real good." and there would be no market for nice big capes because any 16" neck can be easily be stretched to 23"s.

11. Okay maybe I should change it, just for taxidermy: The customer always thinks he's right. ::)

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Hunters think,, that neck mounts are cheaper then shoulder mounts. I had a call from a guy I went to school with, his daughter's boyfriend shot his first buck, and he was shopping for the lowest price he could get for a neck mount. He mentioned that we were family and wondered if he could get a discount. Here is his idea of how were are related.,,, Get this,, my brothers wife's Aunt, remarried a guy with two daughters, and this guy married one of them,, thinking he could get a discount from me because we were "related". What a cheap bass turd. I didnt budge on the regular price and never heard from him again.

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice job! I don't do neck mounts, and even if I did, they would not be cheaper.

14. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I charge the same price as a full shoulder, But i still get one once in a while?

15. I know he is glad you talked out of that , There is no comparison ! nice job

16. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Thanks for the comments. Personally I think if those neck mounts were European mounts instead they would have looked better.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Funnily enough I always tell guys they are DOUBLE the price of a shoulder mount.

1. They look retarded and I don't want anyone thinking that's how I mount a deer.

2. They look retarded...and the hunter sure as well won't be admitting to his buddies that HE was the one who was too stupid to cape a deer correctly.

3. Did I mention that they look retarded.

18. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Jim Tucker, You couldn't have said it any better brotha! Amen...

19. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I charge $150 EXTRA for neck mounts. The last two idiots that insisted on neck mounts PAID "dearly" for their retarded looking mounts. Remember "a fool and his money are soon parted". MAKE THEM PAY! This fall the price is $200 more!