1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dried scorpions

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by rodlrock, Sep 23, 2006.

1. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

I have been thinking of casting some dryed scorpions in resin, any one have any Ideas were I can find them in South Florida?

2. I don't know about Florida, but I have them everywhere on my ranch. I have about a dozen or more in a bottle of alcohol (no people, not tequila or mescal ;D). You can have them if you want to. They've been doing the freestyle in the alcohol for about two years. I don't know whether they'd be suitable for what you are planning to do. Now those are not the huge scorpion kind you see in pet stores. Those are the ones that are about 2 to 3 inches, light brown, that crawl in bed with you and attack while you sleep. :'(
    Anyway, if you want them, their yours. Let me know. :)

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Now Evelyn, how can you bare to part with your little buddies? ::) ;D

4. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

See, Piggy. See, see!

Aunt Becky, we tried to get the Piggy to use modern ranching practices on her scorpion herd years ago.

See, now Rod will probably get rich off of paperweights and key chains. Wait 'til he finds out about the oriental aphrodisiac market for the things. Maybe she'll listen to him.

Rod, one thing to watch for, that Billington Ranch Taxidermy branding iron has a tendency to mess the one side up pretty bad.

5. Glen Conley

Hey! I can't see my duck! Did the smites eat him all gone? Can anyone else see him?
    I even tried uploading again, and he's still gone.......is it poor duck, or poor me?

6. rodlrock

Evelyn,
    Thanks I would like 3 to try out just let me know what you need.This is a Dragonfly I did for a friend at work.
    I love my job there is just so much you can do with resin and silicone.
    Years ago when I was at Ft Hood (1978) the first time I went to the field ( Army talk for camping and shooting) a friend of mine went to get a BFR ( big friggen rock)to hold down our cameo net over our gun he stuck his hand under the bfr and got stung by a brown scorpion.He was one of those guys that can't be stung by bees.They had to chopper him out needless to say after that I was aways careful moving rocks.He was ok in a few days.
    You have my email
    Thanks so much
    Rod Rock

7. Secret Agent Man Glen, I have no problem seeing your duck, so, IT IS YOU. ;D Your duck is just fine and jumping around as ducks do. ;)

Rod, just message me your mailing address and I get that bottle out to you. You get them ALL. If you think I open this bottle up and take three out you are dreaming my friend. It's all or none. :D. Glad to get rid of them. Don't know why I've been hanging on to them for so long. I just hope they work out for you. :)

8. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Yep Glen, your duck is still smite pickin'

9. Glen Conley

Thanks, Gals! It seems to be a log-in problem, there seem to be others experiencing technical difficulties. I thought I had computer memory problems, and acted accordingly. That didn't cure anything. He is up there smite picking as I type, but he might disappear on me again at any minute.

Rod, the dragon fly looks cool as heck. Actually the photo is suitable for framing for home or office.

Maybe you could make the Piggy a scorpion amulet?

10. rodlrock

No she already told me a photo would be fine lol

11. Rod, I tried once to imbed a scorpion I got from Florida and a small lobster that got caught in a net. Even though they were both prepared properly (I thought) I had severe problems with bubbles around the specimens and the lobster pour cracked. What do you do to prevent bubbles in your castings?

12. What I understand if you go to Texas, and visit Superpig. You'll find a ton of dried scorpions right outside of her shop. She usually sweeps them out every morning. Sorry Evelyn but when I even hear the word scorpion I NOW always think of you!

Hugs and kisses sweetheart

Coyote

13. rodlrock

What I do is make sure they are dried out completely then pour in layers. Add a layer just as the last one starts to gel.
    The bubbles most likely caused from the bugs insides getting hot and bolling out.
    Here is a on line book that might help
    http://www.eti-usa.com/books/castinbk/castidbk.htm