1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount - Bobcat

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmmolan, May 26, 2010.

1. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    I am just beginning to mount my own animals and would love to do a bobcat that has been in the freezer for about a year.

I've done lots of reading on the tanning, stretching and mounting, but I really would like to see if any of you have any secrets that you would like to share on making this come out right.

I'm only nervous about the skinning of the head. Is it difficult to do without destroying the structure of the eyes, nose and mouth areas?

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

This is what you need.

http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/02/BP1009.html

3. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    Thanks Nina!

4. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

get tons of reference...IMO cats are one of the hardest to do and make it LOOK like a cat and not just some stuffed bag o fur! LOL
    thats why I like mounting cats so well...makes me try harder!

5. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    New question...

I didn't really pay attention when we put him in the freezer since at that time I hadn't even thought about doing the mounts, but I pulled him out a little bit ago and realized that when my husband shot him it actually blew about a 4"x3" section of his shoulder out.

I wanted to do a mount of him laying down ( of course with that shoulder facing the wall), but now that I have seen how big the area is, I'm questioning whether or not I can pull this off without completely shredding the hide during the skinning and stretching.... or should we just go ahead and do a European mount as my husband had first suggested?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

6. Bobbi Meyer

most of the hide is probably still there, it will just be sort of a puzzle to match the pieces back up again.
    the bobcat pic that I posted had a large gunshot hole in the back right hip. The skin was all still there, I just cleaned up the edges a bit and sewed it back together...you can't tell with the fur that it even had that problem

7. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    Great!!! Thanks so much for the reply.

Unfortunately I didn't see a lot of skin there, but could possibly be from the way he was frozen too. I'll let him start thawing and see what it looks like from there.

8. Bobbi Meyer

good luck!

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Get Jan Van Hoosen's DVD on bobcat. It covers everything from skinning to finishing.

10. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Fortunately, bobcats have very stretchy skin and a huge hole can come together nicely. While you may end up putting that side to the wall or underneath, my bet is you can still mount it.

11. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

i sewed up a nice sized hole on my cat without problems except the measurement went down a little in that area, i had to rasp it down some in and around that area. good luck, it wasnt that hard to me, just patients