1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scale tipping

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Nate Thompson, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Old subject, but I'm not clear on what gloss everone is talking about when they mix their powders with it. Is it the same gloss that the fish is finished with or is it different.

Thanks

Nate

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Nate there are some many different one you can use, so using your own is fine. For some we find Wildlife Colors transparent base is good for this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I use basecoat sealer/Hydromist...

4. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I am with you, Frank. I am having good results with the transparent base. It looks a little milky going on, but once dry the powders really pop.

5. Thanks for the help.

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You can apply your powders dry, just make sure you seal them in before moving on to the next colors.

7. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Since it has been a while since I've kept up with the fish taxidermy industry, can you explain how you use the powder dry and then be able to seal the powder without it being moved around or disturbed in anyway. Bill

8. ArtistcAnglerInc.

ArtistcAnglerInc. New Member

I rub it on with my finger....the harder and firmer you apply it the more it will take to the surface. Once you apply it by finger, you blow it off with air....alot of the powdered pigment should stay on the work surface, if you rubbed it on good enough. There are many variables and ways to work with these powdered pigments depending on the desired effect, but I do quite alot of dry application Bill!

9. featherhead

featherhead Member

What supply company carries a variety of the powdered pigments?

10. featherhead

featherhead Member

I've always just used the treasure gold,bronze,silver waxes and sealed them in.I've been wanting to try the powdered pigments.

11. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

I found some great powders but haven't discovered a great way to use them dry, yet. Mixing them with solvent based glosses and sealers works OK (Marty might have a really good idea mixing them with Hydromist sealer!), nothing worked better for me than mixing them with Acrylic mediums. Usually some acrylic gel or glaze medium like a transparentizer and then (most importantly!) adding some acrylic flow medium. This makes them flow so nice and not dry while your applying them- you can control the intensity and feather the edges really nice. I had no such luck trying to do this with just the dry powders. I need to practice, practice at the dry methods, and try some different powders. Dave

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I apply mine with a small artists brush . I will blow the "excess" off with my mouth but usually you can get all you need to stay on there. Just apply your colors, and blow off the excess, then seal them in with fungicidal sealer, or your sealer of choice, then go on. It has worked well for me.

13. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

What powders??? Mine won't stick to anything- not even a brush!! he he (I think mine are mica based) Dave

14. Many thanks to all. The fish guys are the best. Most helpful for sure. Thanks again.

Nate

15. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Pearl-ex powders can be found at dickblick.com. I've used them dry and wet. Excellent results.