1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Milwaulkee museum

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by James Marsico, May 26, 2010.

1. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I am in Milwaukee Wisc. today visiting one of my daughters. One of the places I visited was the Science and History Museum and could not help but notice how horribly dusty most ALL the taxidermy mounts were and many of them in great need of major upgrades. I even said something to one of the front desk folks and of course they said no one else has ever mentioned it before so it was just me. They do have a big exhibition going on about the famous Dead Sea scrolls. A subject I have personally studied and researched on my own quite a bit. I read nearly every word of every display. They went out of their way to avoid any controversy and I felt they conveniently left out a lot of important history esp. on bible history. It was still excellent and very interesting. Other than that it was a day I really enjoyed. This is a great city.

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    The Milwaukee Public Museum is one of my favorites. Glad you had a good time. what section were you in where you thought the mounts were in need of upgrades/cleaning?

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Like most large natural history museum, MPM has had financial difficulties. They laid off a slew of people in 2005 and had additional belt-tightening last year. Museums are expensive to run, and taxidermists always look at what would be possible with boatloads of new money added, but in truth there is very little available money. Wendy Senk still works there as far as I know, perhaps the last of a long-line of skilled taxidermists who began with Carl Akeley's first job after Wards Natural Science Establishment. I know she is probably overwhelmed with what could be done.

The museum is definitely worth visiting for anyone within driving distance and expect to spend 8 hours there and you still won't see it all.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The Crow Indian bison hunt is so dusty you could, if you were able to, write your name clearly on the bodies of the Indians and the Bison look grey and faded clearly because of dust. It was the worst but there are lots of close second places. There are also lots of mounts that are very old and faded really bad. Mink and wolverine mounts among many others that looked baked almost white. The Pronghorn antelope in that diorama all look almost white because of fading. There is a otter and "brook trout" diorama and the sign says that but the fish is clearly a sucker. Non taxidermy displays and artwork all looked clean and bright? I saw lots of museum employees walking around with name tags around their necks doing nothing in my eyes, guess its "not their job" to clean things? I saw Wendy's famous Gorilla mount reproduction, it is awesome and also in a sealed glass case. Except for the dust and decay on taxidermy the museum is worth spending a lot of time at and I did. http://www.mpm.edu/

5. BDT

BDT New Member

The museum had it's own financial crisis a few years ago. I believe they are getting things back on track now. Here are two of many articles on the financial crisis.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29189214.html

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-6114-how-milwaukee-saved-its-public-museum.html

Jim is right that some of the exhibits could use some cleaning and updating but overall it still is an excellent museum.

I'm sure Wendy is doing what she can with what she has to work with.