1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how do you promote your business

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Bobbi Meyer, May 27, 2010.

1. Yellowpages

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. yellowpages and internet

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. internet

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. local paper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. word of mouth

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. sign out front, thats it

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  7. my work is hanging in the local sporting goods store

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. brochures and business cards at local sporting good stores and gas stations

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. vehicle signs

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. radio or tv ads

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. apparel/snuggies/etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

if there's an option I've missed let me know and I'll add it.

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

you forgot vehicle signs. ;D

3. Bobbi Meyer

got it!

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

You need to be able to vote for more than one. I have many that have driven by and seen the sign and remembered come time to get something done. Word of mouth is really hard to beat and I do have some window decals. Also have a few hats and shirts I've given out. But no yellow pages, phone book paper ads or anything else.

5. Bobbi Meyer

i tried to edit it so you could...let me try again

6. zubba

zubba Active Member

It is tough. My customers from the smaller surrounding towns and villages, it is almost 100% word of mouth. But my customers from the city are mostly website. :-\

7. gab

gab Active Member

I attend one high end and 2 local shows a year,advertise in 2 magazines,run a newspaper ad once a week,donate to all local fundraisers,give out about 200 hats a year,advertise in yellow pages(the least effective of all)give out about 1000 promo measuring tapes a year and koozies,have a website and business facebook page,have my logo on all mine and employees shirts and inquired on here but haven't heard back about logoing my truck.also have a 4X8 bright yellow sign on the highway and heads hanging in two feed stores.but other than that,I rely mostly on word of mouth.

8. Bobbi Meyer

word of mouth
    sign out front...during deer season only
    customers I've given shirts to
    braggin in local paper
    webpage
    logo on truck window

9. I am a part timer. When I first started out, I took out an ad in the local paper (weekly) and ran it all fall. I also put up some flyers around town at the bars and gas stations. That was it. As my business grew, I stopped all that. Never had a sign at the house or anything in the phone book. If I was full time and looking to grow my biz, I would do that. But I have more biz that I want right now.

Bruce

10. camokathy

camokathy AKA- MISS KITTY, HEAD OF ETHICS COMMITTEE FOR TNA

You forgot to add by the buzzards circling your shop!!!lol

11. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Team up with local guides / outfitters. No better place to get customers than at the source.

12. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I do them all but the local paper. I have a few times in the past but never felt that it paid off. I think a person would really have to Pound it to death to get anything out of it . I may be wrong when people want something done . They normally look in the phone book. so that is the one I clicked on since you could only pick one.

We did a few radio ads but that is another thing I think you REALLY have to pound to death for it to work . I think Most people phase out radio ads when they are on . Just my Thought.

You for got Radio ads as an Option...

But a person could go on for ever. T-shirts caps. Pens , all the things like that . Jackets ,Magnets for the fridge. Place mats at the local restaurant

13. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I've done about all of them. I think. The local phone book. (Not the yellow pages. Too expensive.) Ad in the local penny saver did good for me. A big good looking sign in my front yard all year long. But I'm on a major road. A good Web Site.
    But nothing beats "Word of Mouth " If it's good that is.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You asked what "I" do to promote my business. Word of mouth just happens, and while it's probably where most of my work comes from, it's not what I do to promote it. The biggest tool I use to promote my business is the internet.

15. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    I pretty much do all the things listed and also give out pens, hats ect. My opinion is what ever it takes to get my name out there.

16. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Internet, yellowpages, website, word of mouth, decals on my truck, mounts in sporting good stores, 2010-2011 GA. Hunting Regs. booklet.

17. gab

gab Active Member

hunting regs book is a great idea

18. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Word of mouth, business cards (Actually have had people remember me after passing a business card to them years ago)
    and a decal on the back window of my car with my number and website. My website has gotten me outside customers that have found me through a search. I think it is a valuable tool and it sets me apart from the others in my area because no other taxi's around my town have a website.

19. Displaying at sports shows has actually brought in a lot of business for me this year. Also my website.

20. I forgot about this sign. I adopted a 2 mile stretch of highway last summer and pick up trash 3 times a year. I didn't really do it for advertising, more of a community service. And no - a judge didn't make me do it! LOL

For those of you that have these kinds of state programs, it is a great way to get your name out there. Thousands of folks drive by this sign every day.

Bruce

Attached Files: