1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Right and wrong

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by catman, May 28, 2010.

1. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

If this guy is Canadian, there might not be much to do legally. I'm assuming Phil is doing a personal confrontation 1st, which I think is the best avenue. If there is no satisfaction, then by all means, let him have it, PUBLICLY!

2. There is a way to code a site to not allow right mouse clicks to copy images. But people can still do screenshots. :p

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

If javascript is disabled, you can right click all you want. I was looking for ways to protect the pics on the TTAI website when I found out the righ click thing doesn't work if someone really wants it. There's also a way you can set the pics up in blocks and it'll only save one block of the pic BUT if you REALLY want the pic you can just save al the little blocks and piece it back together. I guess the best thing is an ugly watermark right through the middle of the pic, that can still be removed in a photo program but it'll take quite some time.

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Funny thing is, that this a-hole thinks he has rights to all of the pics.

All photographs appearing in this site are the exclusive property of Gander’s Taxidermy Ltd (except where stated otherwise) and are protected under international copyright treaties. They are made available for your personal viewing enjoyment only. No images are within the Public Domain. The photographs may not be copied, reproduced, redistributed, manipulated, projected, used or altered in any way without the prior express written permission of Gander’s Taxidermy Ltd and payment of a fee or arrangement thereof.

5. Screenshoting the picture can bi-pass all the security you put on it. There's virtually no reason to put all of the security on an image, when all someone has to do is press a button, and they instantly have a copy. It's . . . annoying. The only thing that does work 99% of the time, is putting a big, very viseable watermark straight on the picture. :/

6. Becky P

He actually has that on his site!? LMAO what a moron.

7. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

How much are international copyright laws honored or enforced??

8. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Sounds like he took the picture himself and used it. I had a gobi argali lifesize show up in a national FNAWS program advertized as someone elses work. It was a pic taken at another banquet where I had it on display. Not like there is a lot of those shot.
    Doug

9. catman

catman Active Member

I went to the link that Jason provided and sure enough Gander's taxidermy is hosting a photo of one of my cougars in thier gallery as well as the taxidermist from Idaho. I don't know if Eric is still alive, but I doubt if he had anything to do with it. I knew Eric from my days in the N.W. Taxidermy Assn. in the 80s and he seemed like a standup guy. I have some legal recourse in Canada as my father who is a part of my business is a Canadian citizen.

10. Becky P

Eric is mentioned here http://www.ganderstaxidermy.com/history.html. He passed away in 2005.

11. catman

catman Active Member

Well, the folks at Gander's Taxidermy were working today. I don't know if Ray contacted them, but I did and both Ray's lion and my cougar are no longer in the gallery. Two down, one to go.

12. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Ray and I both emailed them and so I will check my email for the apology, and also talk with Ray about it at work tomarrow.

13. what you should do is pose in the photo with your work or copyright it with a logo...that way it is undefinably yours

14. catman

catman Active Member

Both of the photos used were taken while these mounts were on public display. There is no way to prvent what they did.

15. catman

catman Active Member

I recieved an apology from the original party, and a promise to remove it. So the matter is closed.

16. Ray Hatfield

Ray Hatfield mounted by Becka Hatfield-10 years old

We also recieved an apology and they got the photos off within a few hours.