1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Cream

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by TrailsEnd, Sep 23, 2006.

1. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I have been getting my deer capes commercially tanned for 30 years now.I am considering using John Rinehar'ts tanning cream because the tanneries are taking way too long for me and my customers.I would appreciate any input or experiences from other taxidermists using this method.This is my first post and apologize for posting this question in the wrong part of the forum.
    Chuck

2. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Well, first off, I think this was in the correct category. Second. My personal advice would be to find another tannery or pay the extra fee for a faster turn around. Why do I say such things? Because you will never get the same quality tan using any home product. Granted, JRTS is one of the better home tans on the market. As is WTDS, EZ-100, Lutan (F), and too many to count from Knobloch's. Just my opinion.

3. TrailsEnd

Thanks for your input, Chuck

4. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I know a lot of guys are using "creme tans" and they'll tell you they work just fine...I just don't believe it. If you don't want to send your capes out to a tannery, use a tan that requires you to PICKLE...NEUTRALIZE...SOAK IN TAN. This is the basic method used by tanneries. The one I use whenever I want to tan in-house is Rittel's Easy 100 and I oil after the tanning is done. Have always had good success with this product. Good luck....JL

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

JL, have I ever lied to you? Well, I'm telling you JRTS works as well as anything out there and if you want it to really work, you skip that silly assed pickle and just paint it on after a night of salting. If you pickle it, the hide invariably SHRINKS and the hide has LESS STRETCH than if you follow the directions.

6. TrailsEnd

George,
    Just one night of salting? Do you rinse the excess salt off before using the cream?
    Thanks,
    chuck

7. George

I really haven't found any difference in shaving a pickled hide or the JRTS tanned one. Remember, they're both acidic so the skin "puffs up" on both. I especially like shaving the tanned hide as I often save the really thin shavings for superglue repairs to hides (remember, it even advertises that is bonds skin to skin intantly. LOL)

Chuck, I do SOMETIMES. I don't cake the salt on like so many do. I cover the hide in salt and then shake off the excess. If you have salt left over in the morning, it obviously didn't work and you had too much on to begin with. Salt's inert so it really doesn't have any effect either way . Connie shot her deer on Friday night, I got it back from the butcher Saturday night. Now understanding that any wise person gives his spouse some priority, I fleshed it Saturday night and salted it. I put it on a drain table and on Sunday morning, I was painted the tan on. It's now in the freezer awaiting McKenzie to deliver the form and she's likely to have if done for her birthday in two weeks. If I'd have had a form on hand, it would have been mounted last night and been dryig already.

8. TrailsEnd

Thanks a lot, Chuck

9. just remember if you do use JRTS don't use it on anything thicker than deer cuz Ive used it twice now on stag capes and both times had hair slip but not on any other skins

10. George

Mike, I've used it on elk and bison and never had a problem. One of two things: (1) you didn't shave the hide thin enough or (2) you didn't salt it until it stopped dripping. JRTS works on any hide anytime. I still would never use it on bears or the high dollar hides as they go out to be professionally done anyway. I wouldn't trust ANY shop tan on those guys.