1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermist will be missed ! Jeff McAdam

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wildwings, May 30, 2010.

1. wildwings

wildwings New Member

[​IMG]

Last night Jeff was shot while he was working at a Rest Stop. There is some details but I will not go into that now. Please keep his family in thoughts and prayers. He had a Wife Kristen, and 3 teenage children. Ages 18,16,14 as of right now they have asked not to contact Kristen so they have time to grieve. Any how I do think it would be all right to send cards to the following address.

McAdam Family
    504 Union Street
    Victor, IA 52347-7777

Authorities Investigate Fatal Shooting At I-80 Rest Stop
    By Matt Nelson
    By Richard Pratt

Story Created: May 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM CDT

(Story Updated: May 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM CDT )

VICTOR -- Investigators are still working at the scene of a deadly shooting at a rest area along Interstate 80 near Victor.

The Iowa County Sheriff’s Office says the shooting happened in or near the men’s restroom at the I-80 westbound rest area, located at mile marker 208 about three miles east of the Victor exit.

Investigators say that a man died from a single gunshot wound at the rest stop sometime between 7:30 and 8 p.m. Saturday. The Sheriff’s Office says they are expecting to release the victim’s name later this morning.

In the hours after the shooting, a snowplow blocked the entrance to the rest stop.

Investigators ask anyone with information connected to the shooting to contact the Iowa County Sheriff’s Office at (319) 642-7307.

2. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

That's terrible. My best to his family.

3. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

how awful

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very tragic...my condolences to his family

5. My Condolences

6. Terrible Terrible, my thoughts and prayers go out for the family.

7. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

That is awful, thanks for sharing

8. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I can't possibly tell you how sick my stomach feels after reading that.

I have been friends with Jeff for many years. Jeff has come to the house on occasions just to visit all the way from Iowa. We just spent over an hour on the phone talking not to long ago. That was the norm for us. If you didn't know Jeff, he was a genuinely nice guy and he loved his wife and kids very much. He even loved all the cats at the house and would laugh while we were talking because one of them would do something funny. He would talk about ideas that he had and the things the Iowa Taxidermy Board was accomplishing. He never had a bad word to say about anyone. He was full of excitement about everything. I guess I really screwed up by not going up there this year. Jeff had asked me to come up there this year to the competition again and I told him no that I was going some where else. I told him I would at least send a mount with a friend, that way at least the Iowa Organization would still make some extra money and have at least one more mount at the show but that was the best I could do this year. We made plans that next year I would try to come up and spend time at his shop right before the show. He loved taxidermy. Jeff would talk to me about the back problems I have and try to tell me what I had to look forward to because he had already been through his own surgeries. I pray and hope his family can find some peace and comfort. I also hope they find the son of a bitch that did this.

Wildwings, if you have any more info or you hear anything else please let me know. Thanks, Dan Hudzik

9. My prayers are with his family.

10. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Heres the update I know alittle more but will wait for the details to come out.

Victim Identified, Suspect Arrested in I-80 Rest Stop Shooting
    By Dave Franzman, Reporter
    By Richard Pratt

Story Created: May 30, 2010 at 7:16 AM CDT

(Story Updated: May 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM CDT )

IOWA COUNTY- A part time maintenance worker died in a shooting at an I-80 rest stop Saturday night. The shooting happened in the men's room at the rest area located near mile marker 208 on I-80. That's an area near the Iowa County community of Victor.

Iowa County authorities say Jeffrey McAdam, 46, was apparently shot sometime between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. Saturday night. McAdam was a part time worker at the rest stop and was on duty when the shooting happened.

Authorities in Johnson County arrested Peter Riggs, 31, of Columbus, Nebraska, in connection with the shooting. Riggs has been charged with first degree murder and is currently being held in Iowa County.

Darrell Rustad, a truck driver from Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin found McAdam inside the restroom. Rustad said McAdam was sitting on the floor and bleeding with his back against a wall. “He was incoherent. I tried to talk to him and I tried to see if I could get him to respond and I ran back to my truck to get my cell phone and I called 9-1-1,” Rustad said. Rustad said he was questioned by authorities extensively, but the trucker didn’t hear any shots nor did he see anybody in the immediate area around the restroom.

Rescuers at the scene called in an air ambulance to help McAdam, but it left empty after he was pronounced dead. Cheryl Cherny, a Michigan woman riding with a trucker, said it was obvious to those standing around that the helicopter would leave empty when they saw one of the first responders make a gesture. “He just kind of shook his head and after a while it flew off and that kind of told us the man was gone, you know,” Cherny said.

Minehart, the supervisor of rest area workers, said he personally hired McAdam. Minehart described him as a very friendly person who was not the type to have trouble with anyone. “A very cordial person, peaceful, laid back. I could find no fault with him as far as getting along with the public," Minehart said.

The west bound rest stop was closed from the time of the shooting until just before 5:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. The Iowa County Sheriff’s Office said the man died as a result of a single gunshot wound. Investigators are asking anyone with information about the shooting to contact the Iowa County Sheriff’s Office at 319-642-7307 or the Iowa State Patrol office at 319 396-4414.

11. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Can anyone find out if Jeff was a NTA lifetime member ? I think he was just wondering if once they making the funeral plans if they could just post something about it. Thanks Justin Sommer

12. psycho

You know what I think your right. I think I remember Jeff telling me he was a lifetime member of the NTA. Hopefully that insurance will help his family as well. I have thought about this all day and will continue too. If I can I am going to try and make it to Iowa once you find out funeral arrangements. Please let me know. Thanks, Dan Hudzik

13. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I just looked at Jeff's website. He stated on there that he is a life member of the NTA

14. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Just awful news, my heart goes out to his family, and friends.

15. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

So sad.
    My sincere condolences to his wife, kids, and family.

16. Very sad news. My prayers go out to his family.

17. bowkill

bowkill New Member

The world keeps getting more sickning our familys prayers go out to his family. May they find peace.

18. psycho

For those of you that may only have known Jeff by his screen name, it is mountman. He wasn't on here a whole lot but when he was he was trying to help someone usually. Dan

19. psycho

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/95213609.html

20. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Mother of god. Im very sorry. Jeff was a member of the ITA, and was a board member with myself and others. Jeff was a great guy, and can't say enough about him.

The Iowa Taxidermy Association will greatly miss him. He was always one of the first to show up, and last to leave when we did anything. And quick to give you some sHi t if you flipped it to him.

RIP Jeff!

Jimmy Lawrence