1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

how long does it take you or did it take you?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by duff83, Jun 2, 2010.

1. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

well i got to come home early from the 9 to 5er today due to the rain, i got home after putting in a short 5 hour day before it started to rain like hell. so i figured great! now i can catch up on a little work. i finally got the two buffies that have been waiting for me, washed rinsed and tumbled... and man did that suck due to my first run on my home made tumbler, aka the old dryer. i thought i sealed that thing up real good w/ caulk but i was wrong. any how was wondering, as my confidence wains away right now... (i tend to freak out and second guess everything) how long did it take you to finish a bird up so it can sit out and dry, when you where at my stage in the game. basically i went to school two years ago, skinned a bunch of birds and got to about this point or a tad further and couldn't finish due to various mistakes and doubts. so i consider myself a beginner still very much so. so how long did it take you to get a bird out of the tumbler to the positioned and drying stage? and how long does it take you to do now... also any tips tricks or encouragement? of course i have a plethora of reference. any must have tools that people might not think of i should have? i basically have my full shop going and buy what i need when i need it.

2. I'm slow. Once a bird is dry, it will take me about 4 hours to put everything in, sew him up & pose him flying. Standing takes me a lot less time. I fight wings on every pose I do mainly because I just haven't figured out a good way to do them yet.

3. duff83

well what about if you cant finish in time? i go to bed at 10, 11pm no later cuz i have to be up at 5am for work every day m-f... is it ok to mist em, bag em and put em in the fridge till tom evening? or even freeze them if i cant get to them for a few days?

4. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I did a mallard standing, last week. I had him dry but frozen, I pulled him out of the freezer at 5. started mounting at 7:30, right after dinner. I was done and left him alone after grooming at 10. while he was thawing, I preped wires body and neck.

Now for me that was my best time, and the specimen was great.

5. TaxidermyJunky

TaxidermyJunky New Member

X2 I washed and dried a pintail this weekend and ran out of time so i threw him back in the freezer
    and finished him later the next evening after he thawed and turned out great.

6. It sure does help when that is the case. My problem is generally all those big burn holes I put in them when I'm fleshing. The last 2 birds I've done, I washed & dried them. I put a manikin wrapped in wet paper towels in the body & some wet paper towels in the head so it didn't dry out. Still took forever to mount, but it does help to break it up.

7. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

to answer your question about the fridge, yes it is fine to bag and put in the fridge for a day or 2 if its going to be longer then i would refreeze it, if you are going to go this route i wouldn't put any caulk in it (if you use caulk) until you are ready to finish the bird out and hang up to dry. as to your first question, when i was a beginner i could spend 12 hours or more on one bird from start to finish, now from dryer to the wall ready to pose will typically take 35 to 45 minutes posing another 10 to 15 minutes depending on pose, and grooming ??????? depends on the bird, condition, pose and how much time i spend paying attention to something else. in the beginning stages don't get hung up that much on time, this will come with experience, just like your full time job, i'm sure that you are much more proficient at it now than you were when you first started out. if you do have to place in the fridge or back in the freezer make sure it is bagged well, overnight in most modern fridges will dry out the skin to the point you will have to rehydrate it to do anything with it, especially the delicate head and neck skin.

8. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

Thats is what I like doing, breaking it up in sections. One day I was do it all at once I just need a career change.... maybe next year...

9. duff83

well thanks to shotty paint being too damn runny all i accomplished in the last 2 hours was painting the bill... guess ill be getting to them next time... i realized im out of pins to... so im on stall ::) i want to quit the day job so i can do this all day and get more proficient.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

35-45 min! setting eyes wiring,sewing up.........I'm bringin the stopwatch...lol

11. Eric N

Eric N New Member

One of the worst thing a beginning taxidermist, or any taxidermist for that matter, can do is get too caught up on time. I went through a spell several years ago where my quality went backwards because I was too worried about how long certain steps should take. Each speciman is unique, and each pose is unique. Put the time into it to get it right and before you know it you will be breezing right along. The answer to your question for me is approx. 5 hours per duck(skin,flesh,wash,dry,mount,and pose). Excellent specimans in simple poses a little less and lots of damage and/or tricky pose a little more.

12. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

When I was learning to play the piano, I slowed the tempo way down until I knew the notes, then increased the speed. I'm approaching taxidermy in the same manner. Learn the skills well, first, then the speed will come pretty naturally. My pieces are in and out of the frig. several times. I, also, have a full time 'real' job. I have to break it down into steps so I can do a little each evening (when I have enough poop after working all day!) LOL

13. mark11

bring the stop watch on over, lol, but be prepared for a sermon on anatomy. as i have stated on here hundreds of times if the anatomy is correct or as close as possible, the rest will take care of itself, my birds feet are (usually) already injected and finished ready to go, how long should it actually take to run a wire in each wing? if you measured the carcass and marked the form for the correct wing attachment points and measured and marked it for the leg attachment points it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to slide a body and neck into the skin run the wires through it and lock them in place, i spend 2 minutes or less on each wing sewing the secondaries and tertials back to the elbow joint, sewing up an average duck or pheasant making stitches 3/16 to 1/4 inch apart? glue the head in place on the neck, and setting the eyes (i'm not talking about competition perfection with precise angles) but again if you cast the birds head or compared the artificial to the real head then the eye sockets are already lined up right put the eyes in slightly looking down and forward glue skin around the bill (minute or less) pin the ear holes of the skin back into the ear opening of the head shape the eyelids around the eyes, (use reference here because a birds eye isn't just a round hole shaped to match the circle of glass, or plastic, that you put back in.)

posing a bird is no different, if you got the anatomy right and used the measurments you took then moving the parts shouldn't be anymore difficult than it was moving them before you skinned the bird, 2/3's of the posing is done on my birds before i ever put the body in it. i caulk my birds but do most of it through small holes i make from the outside and only us it in key areas--wings, wing/shoulder joint, scaps, neck/body attachment point, tail area, the only area i will caulk before closing the bird up is the leg attachment points. this isn't rocket science and it doesn't have to take forever once you get some experience at it. one thing that does really help me is that i (99% of the time) follow a pattern that is the same for each bird, can be monotonous but it is kind of the assembly line mentality, do the same thing the same way and over time it becomes a routine that moves along very quickly. once you get the mechanical aspects of it down then you can spend the extra time you need to grooming and fine tuning things and still not cut into your time/profit margin.

14. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    what about tanning birds...would that give you more work time. I noticed in some dvds that some tan them and in others they don't. What is the advantage and disadvantages of tanning birds?

15. mark11

depends on what you are calling tanning. in 36 years personally haven't found a need for it, bird skin is already so thin that preservation isn't really even necessary if it is prepared correctly, fleshed, cleaned, washed completely, it will dry on its own. the speed with which it driesw can be controlled to a point by where and how you place it to dry. i bird set where air can flow freely around it, especially warm dry air will dry very quickly, if you place it in a cool place it will dry slower if you can place it someplace to restrict the air flow you can get it to dry very slowly. some of my competition mounts i place in a plastic container with a snap on lid and take it out each day only long enough to check it and make any adjustments that need to be made, you can get several days like this to watch and make adjustments before it stiffens up to the point it is locked in place.

16. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Thanks mark11, I learned alot reading your disertation on bird assembly.

17. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

a lot depends on what you mean by mounting time for me the head is ready except for epoxy sculp [last minute around eyes] feet are already injected dried painted wrapped so is neck form carved sanded wing wires cut ,then and only then Bird is washed rinsed dried boraxed so mounting time for me is greatly reduced UNLESS you figure in everything else ,for me dry to mount and groom [flying birds are easier except turkeys] 45 minutes to one hour depending on feather condition pinny or not