1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd Gamehead. Critiques welcome!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mick Bates, Jun 2, 2010.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz28/mickbates/IMG_0111.jpg[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. if thats your 2nd ever mount then your doing very well to put in detail in the eye like that...

3. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

It looks like a second attempt. Use reference & learn to interpret it.

4. cwt

cwt Active Member

I think it looks great

5. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Looks very good, looks like you are well on your way.

6. DCon

DCon New Member

Nice job.

7. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

OOOOkay... The nose is crooked...the jaws are not aligned....the ears are to low....the bottom of the ears is also kicked out to much....the skin on the head has been stretched back giving the hog an eyelift.....no fulness to the eyes.......the eyes dont look forward.....the eyes are rotated in different directions.....he looks walleyed......the membranes in the front of the eyes are wrong......the eye shape is wrong......the epoxy work is rough.....lots of overspray..... yeah he looks great!.....Did I mention the earbutts are wrong? Oh yeah like I said earlier use reference.

8. ERB

ERB New Member

I think he looks very nice....great for a second mount or third or tenth! I would venture to say that 90% of the hogs I have seen hanging in homes and taverns can't hold a candle to the one you cranked out. I imagine you are a hobby taxidermist and as one you can take pride in knowing that you put one up that looks WAAAAAY better than most of the crap that comes out of shops when it comes to hogs.

It may not please the perfectionist but not all of us are seeking blue ribbons just a pleasing representation of the original. Before I started mounting my own stuff I got a hog back from a shop and the only thing Icould do to "fix" it was to install a pair of bolts on the side of it's neck and re-name it "Frankenhog"....I left it on that "professionals" doorstep along with a note requesting my money back or I would make sure everybody saw the crap he was churning out of the broken down barn he was calling a shop. Remember that the only thing that the word professional means is that someone is making a living at it....unfortunately that does not guarantee that those same folks are any good at it. I still laugh about it today......Good luck in your future endeavours and keep at it....good work!

9. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

not bad at all,put it in the game head of the week ;D ;D

little fred

10. jim tucker

jim tucker Well-Known Member

If being better than "most crap" is good enough for you quit reading now.

I was NOT going to comment but you are being done a disservice by all the "atta-boy" posts.

Bill's post is 100% right...and the things he pointed out are not "perfectionist" problems(other than maybe eye membranes). They are BASIC TAXIDERMY SKILLS. The ear butts and ear positioning alone make this mount look really bad and wrong.

You have talent, for second head...it's good...but that doesn't mean it's good. Bill is spot on, if you do what he says this mount would be VERY suitable for professional taxidermy.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You just cant use a form right out of the box and think the mouth is going to fit right, they seldom do. The Coombs forms hog mouths all need shimmed and shaved to line up with the nose. And you can't just slap the glass eye in the hole and go for it, both eyes are looking out to the sides.

12. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I looked earlier and wasn't going to post either. Like Jim said, you will not learn anything from someone telling you it is better than it is. Bill is correct in all aspects. Pay attention to what he said, and ignore those who say it's great. You have a lot of problems, just like most do on a second mount. Now it is time to use reference and maybe a video and stop guessing. Some hands on learning from someone "in the know" will help too. Kudos for trying.