1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hurry, while its still wet!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mjsandt, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

I messed with the ears and eyes last night, but left the mane standing up. I will check it out again when I get home from work. Thanks for all your help guys. Any major complaints on the deers nose while were at it?
    Here are another.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jt

jt Member

PA
    Look at the previous pic that Rebel posted and you should be able to see for yourself what's wrong with the nose.

3. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

I dont see anything to terrible. Mabe the hair on the nose. Shade is different from deer to deer. The nostrils are pink, there is just not enough light in the picture to see it well. Feel free to tell me how to change it so I can do it better.

4. jt

jt Member

PA
    You could get an Eppley nose for reference along with photo reference, cut the nose off of your form and carve the nostril out from the front just like your reference. Then carve the nasal detail in from the back (I use a dremel tool for the carving) and place a proper size septum inside. Then do your epoxy work blending septum to form according to your reference, then bondo the nose back onto the form. You could also replace the whole nose with an Eppley nose, but that doesn't teach you anything.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

MJS,, the deer nostril shape is not even close,, are you just guessing at it? What are you using for reference when you carved it out?

6. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

to over painted looking

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    MJS, the black patch belongs at the back of the jaw not on the neck. like said before ears are too far back. Here is a pic also there are many hair patters and hair tuft's that need to be shown in order to give this animal justice. There is also a gland that is like a roll right under each eye. You can clearly see it in this photo.

Attached Files:

8. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    I think you are okay on the mane. Look at Hammer's photo. Sometimes they are up, sometimes they are down. A lot of people miss that roll under the eye that Hammer mentions.

9. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    buy a pair of glasses first before you fix anything if you can't see whats wrong with deers nose

10. Claytronic

Claytronic New Member

I'm not an expert, never mounted anything before so don't take my advice as first choice.

But the nose looks too.. glossy? Like it looks like there's too much "gloss" [idk if that's what it's called] in the little grooves on the nose.
    Check out your dog's nose, you'll see the little grooves.

Like this pic.
    [​IMG]

11. Claytronic

Claytronic New Member

I think the nostrils should also be tucked a little more.

See how deep in the nostril goes?
    The first pic with your deer's nose, there's flesh kinda' sticking out [in the nostril]. I think it should be tucked back further.

[​IMG]

Here's another pic inside the nostril.
    [​IMG]

12. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

didn't think he saw that last picture back on page one or what? LOL I'm sure he apreciates all the advice from someone who's never mounted anything before

13. Claytronic

Claytronic New Member

Uhmmm sorry for offering someone critique?
    Even people who haven't mounted anything before know when something's off. :\

14. Claytronic

Claytronic New Member

& no, I just now saw the pic you were talking about.
    Never loaded for me before.