1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skife knife

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by nube, Jun 4, 2010.

1. nube

nube Member

I have been using a paring knife for most of my thinning work but recently got a skife knife from Mcenzie. It took me a bit to bend the angle on it to work but the blade is loose and after fussing to make it work properly I give up for now.

Are all the knifes made the same out there or is there one I can buy that will work without messing around with it. When I had it partially working it was great to use and faster than my paing knife.

2. tyler-woody

tyler-woody New Member

where the blade slides in just pinch it back shut with pliers

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No need to bend it out of factory set position. It's all in the wrist.

4. ya they work great just out of the box don't adjust them or that's what happens

5. zubba

zubba New Member

It is all about the angle of the knife/wrist. Also, don't just try pulling the knife though to cut/thin...it is more of a slicing action. Kind of hard to explain I guess. Just stick with it.

6. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I use a sawing meathod. That is one of the most valuable tools in your kit.

7. As you use the knife, pull it towards you in an angle. If you bent the factory bend, you may have messed it up. Once you get used to it you will love it.

8. nube

nube Member

I understand what most of you are saying. I use it at an angle when it works best to cut but the problem with the original setting was that it would not bite in and take anyyhing off. It wasn't till I adjusted it that it worked but then the blade was loose and would move around and would only work half of the time and was frustrating. I then tried to pinch it closed and move the angle to cut a little more as it still did not cut the best and thats when it got all messed up. I will fiddle with it some more and see what I can do. If it doesn't get sorted out I'll just buy a new one. I just wondered if there was a brand out there that was better than another or if they were all the same.
    Thanks for the replies

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nope,, there is only one of those kinds of tools. We all had to get use to it, develop our dexterities to make it work. It is not one of those right out of the box tools, you have to make your brain conform to how it works. I been using mine for 8 years, and once in a while it will not cut on a random pass, it's not perfect, but it sure helps.

10. I love the thing. When you get it down, you can get things extremely thin.

11. FawnTnMtnGrl

FawnTnMtnGrl New Member

Nube I had the same problem. I just got some hide scraps that I could practice on. Like everyone says it takes some practice but they're pretty handy!

12. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Use a fleshing ball about the size of a standard light bulb. This gives a 2 1/2 to 3 inch convex surface. If you are on a larger beam, you won't have as much 'BITE' area.

13. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

agreed a wooden baseball bat works perfect for one. if you get the right size handle you can cut the knob off snd slip it in the eyes and nose to thin them. Wally worlds should be putting baseball bats on clearance bout now too if they haven't already

14. Agree 100%. Here is a wooden cap for fencing you can get at Home Depot. Screw it into a base and it's perfect for what you need to work the skife over, cost $2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. verne

verne Well-Known Member

#22 blade for me ; maybe cause i worked in a meat processing plant for 14 year`s as a meat cutter.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

theres Dennis showing us his balls again,,,,,,,

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

take a look at the skife knife that tandy leather sells. I threw my tin one away after I got that.

18. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

The one from Tandy is called a super skife and it only cost about $12.00!
    the handle is much more comfortable and you have a lot more control.

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you're a lefty, like me, you have to push it rather than pull it. I got used to it years ago, and use it almost every day.

20. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I'm a lefty thats why I got the one from Tandy it is much nicer and can be used by anyone.