1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beaver teeth

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by after the shot, Sep 23, 2006.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Hello, i have mounted many small and big game animals but am about to mount my first beaver. the beaver is a very impressive specimen w/ very long teeth and my customer requested that i use the original teeth. How do i go about removing them from the skull? i tried searching the new and old archive posts without any luck.
    thanks

2. If you want to leave the skull intact, submerge the skull in a plastic container of water and clean the skull via the maceration method. The bacteria in the water will eat the meat and tissue away which will make it easy to just pull those front teeth out of the skull once it is cleaned. Now if you don't care about saving the skull, you can carefully drill the teeth out of the socket with a dremel tool. Carefully remove the bone around the front teeth until you can pull them out without breaking the teeth. :)

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Take a Dremel tool with a cutting disk and cut through the bone 1/2 inch beyond where the bone meets the tooth. Then remove the bone and the teeth will be loose. Since you only need enough of the tooth to show in the front of the mount why bother removing parts you don't need? Whole beaver teeth are about 3 inches long when totally removed and you'll have to cut them anyhow to insert them into the manikin. Good luck....JL

4. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Thank you both. I'll use the dremel tool. I was actually going to do that but I wanted to post the question since I couldnt find it in the search. I also have never posted a question before and wanted to see how fast i would receive a response.

5. Mike Schuda

Mike Schuda Guest

I do what jl does. I cut the teeth off at the jaw line and theres plenty of tooth left to glue into the form.

Mike