1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Turkey. Please Critique.

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mlhill, Jun 5, 2010.

1. mlhill

mlhill New Member

Hey Everyone!
    This is my first bird and first turkey mount. I thought that I would do my first one on a jake that my eleven year old nephew killed this spring.
    He really wanted a full strut mount and his parents didn't have a whole lot of money so I decided to do it for a hundred dollars. I used some of the
    techniques from the Harry Whitehead DVD and the Gerald Flynn DVD. The head is an artificial from Anthony Eddy and the mannikin is from Joe Ferebee.
    I love to turkey hunt and I have two more turkeys in the freezer to mount. Please give me some advice to make my next turkey turn out even
    better than this one.
    Thanks!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

i havent done one yet so i cant give much of a critique but strutting birds walk one foot in front of the other. other than that it looks very nice for your first. hope mine turns out that nice. they say practice makes perfect looks like your on your way

3. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Take my grain of salt. I like the mount, good job

4. Bills_and_Quills

Bills_and_Quills The Devil is in the Details...

Awesome mount...maybe move one foot forward a touch, but I've seen 'em stand like that right before the Benelli laid the smack down!! I'm not a huge fan of that paint schedule on the head but that's just my IMO. Keep up the great work!

5. MB in NC

MB in NC Aim small. Miss small.

Is that a band on his leg?

6. I was wondering that same thing

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

is not a bad job if its your first....the only thing i would suggest is to start using freeze dried heads....much much better than the reproduction ones.....

8. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

great job for your first, would be a great job for your tenth. for those who asked the band on its leg is from the check in station. we have them here in ohio for turkeys spring and fall and also on all deer killed. it has the state listed an ID number and the year it was harvested and needs to be kept with the mount after it is completed and is proof that the bird wasn't poached. we always have plain silver in the spring for turkeys but the fall tags are a different color. the only thing i will offer as a critique, if you want to call it that, is that i agree with using a freeze dried head, or at least plucking some of the feathers found on the real head and attaching them to the artificial to make it look more real. beyond that, if you accomplished this on your first turkey then the issues that are present will get worked out very quickly, just get all the reference you can get and use it.

mark