1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey motor Replacement

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ET-Taxidermy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I was fleshing a Turkey with my Dayton 3M569D 1/15 Hp motor and the thermal kept kicking it out. I would go to my 1/70th hp for a while then back to the 1/15. What do you all recommend for a Turkey Flesher Motor?

2. full fan

full fan New Member

I can't find any info. on my motor, but I think it is 1/10 hp & around 1750RPM. I doo all my birds on it with the same wheel. Turkey to ducks.

3. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

What kind of wheel are you using ...course or soft ? A course wheel might have more bite and not kick the thermal in on you as often( less time running the motor). Otherwise, yeah--jump up on the motor size for turks.

4. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I'm thinking a 1/10th hp should be good. Thanx guys

5. proof

proof New Member

I use a 1/10 hp with a soft wheel for everything from quail to turkeys.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I know this isn't much help, but my first thoughts were, "What kind of motor did it have in the first place?" and "Where on earth did you find a motorized turkey?"

7. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Yeah, Nancy, I had to click on the thread just to see what Bob was asking about. :)

I have one of the heavy duty New Angle fleshers. I put a different brand motor in it and it still kicks out the thermal switch. I bought the 1/4 horse VanDyke's a year ago with the 4" soft wheel. I'm thinking about trying a stiffer brush for turkeys to help with some of the tougher areas, although the soft brush works. No more taking breaks while the motor cools. ;)

8. I went to a course wheel last year, cut fleshing time in 1/2. You just half to be a little more careful around the neck and thigh area.
    Jim

9. I'd been using a 1/10th hp motor. Well after about 20 minutes it shuts off and takes at least a half hour to cool enough to come back on. So yesterday I just ordered a new motor and I started building a bigger box! Went with a 1/2 hp motor that is 1,725 RPMs. I may even try fleshing a deer on that thing!! It was only $59 at Harbor Freight and has a 5/8" shaft. I shouldn't have any more issues stalling it out on the bigger birds!

10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee New Member

I am about to build a bird flesher, I have seen comments about the size of motors, it appears that a 1/4 hourse is the way to go.
    I haven't seen much said about rpms, is there an rpm that is people have found to be better?
    Does anyone have an adjustment for rpms on thier flasher, is this a benefit, or a waste of time?
    Thanks
    damien