1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

N.E.A.T. Workshop Ideas

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Matt Marulli, Jun 8, 2010.

1. As you know the N.E.A.T. tries to hold 2 workshops each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I would like to know where the interest lies for our upcoming fall seminar (dates TBD). Your input is important to us, we want to try and make these as informative as possible.

Thank you,

Matt Marulli
    N.E.A.T. President

2. bnoody

bnoody Member

How about a focus on eyes and noses in games heads. An area many of us struggle to get just right and you look at the work Pete and Fred do and it is miles ahead of many of us.

I think it would need to include proper turning of the eye and noses, I suspect many would be surprised how thin and far they turn the eyelids.

Getting these two areas right make a dramatic difference in the overall appearance of a game head.

Just a thought

Regards,

Brian

3. Habitat workshop ***artificial water & snow*** ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. DOUG H

DOUG H Member

X2 on eyes and noses on gameheads and maybe everyone,s finishing tips :) :)

5. ok, keep them coming. We have a meeting the first weeknd in August so stay tuned for workshop details.

6. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Brian, very good idea. JOLT, We missed u this year.

7. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

The places I see most Taxidermist having issues are on the Business side of this industry.
    I think a good Business Seminar would be good.
    Because if you don't get that right you will be out of business no matter how good your mounts are.

8. I was so sad to miss it!!! :-( I had better start saving now for next year LOL

9. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

I think your right on with the business seminar.

10. slater56

slater56 Member

X2 with the business seminar also would like to see something done with moose or bear.

11. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

The business end is where its all at. No matter how you look at it. There are a lot of very talented Taxidermist out there that are out of business. Cause they can't handle the business end and go bankrupt. So A business seminar would be a good idea.

12. strutinh

strutinh Member

In my opinion! a business seminar will turn out to be about what the other guy is charging and get into a debate, just like it does on this site, Every taxidermist will have a different outcome. This doesn't mean it can't be done, but by someone who is very qualified in the BUSINESS aspect of it . Or maybe by someone who has run a FULLTIME shop for years, By all means not putting any part timer down!! again just my opinion! Scott

13. after the shot

We have had a couple of business seminars and a lot of the times when it turns into what someone should charge for a particular species, it is because someone asked, or the seminarian breaks down why charging $300 for a deer head isn't a realistic price price if you are wanting to run a successful business. But I know where you are coming from because it can get a little draining.

14. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

The seminar needs to cover all areas Pricing,Marketing,Accounting,Logging in mounts Per Regulations for F&G, ETC.
    Maybe even have an F&G Officer there to help answer questions that may come up.

15. after the shot

F&G Officer would be a good idea. The only issue with that is that NEAT covers all of New England and several members from other surrounding states Most states have different regs regarding different species. But a very good idea and worth looking into.
    Keep the ideas coming.

16. Anything by Rick Krane would be great, and I believe, a huge draw for the work shops.

17. MRTaxidermy

MRTaxidermy Past President of the N.E.A.T.

Thanks for starting this post Matt!
    I've had a few guys come up to me at the show and say they would be interested in a "hands-on" workshop.
    I'll use a 'bird' for example: The attendee would bring his/her own bird and mount it there. During the process, they would be able to reach out to seminarian(s) for help in areas they are struggling in.

Just another idea/suggestion

18. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

How about an airbrushing work shop. I was going to suggest it at the next BOD meeting.
    Dave

19. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

A airbrushing workshop would be a Rick Krane speciality . I sat in on one in Quebec a couple of weeks ago and it was great. You will learn airbrush techniques, applications, color mixing and the layering of colors and much more.

20. MRTaxidermy

MRTaxidermy Past President of the N.E.A.T.

All these are good suggestions. Please keep them coming. As Matt stated, we will discuss this in our next board meeting amd make a decision at that time.