1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wood fence post

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mn_jimmer, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

I just finished mounting my first flying pheasant. I attached it to a old wood fence post that I spilt in half. I hung it on the wall and the wife comented on the strong oily wood preservative odor. Can I coat the wood with some kind of poly that would cover the odor, or will it go away on it's own in a short time. I would only need to treat the back side and the ends. She's gonna make me get rid of it if I don't fix the odor problem.

2. Matt

Matt New Member

If it's an old weathered post, how would it have any odor? Did you put something on it prior to mounting the bid on it? On mine, I make sure the wood is dry and bag it, fog it for bugs, let it dry out again, and use.

3. mn_jimmer

mn_jimmer New Member

I collected the post recently, cut it off at the ground where it had been standing for many years. It's not rotten and I didn't spill anything on it. It didn't have any odor until I cut and split it. It smells a lot like new railroad ties, kind of an oily presevative smell.

4. Sounds like it'd a preserved post probobly with kreosote which has an an odor you can't get rid of, is it black or green where you split it? I would just change it out with an old post that has not been treated, Good Luck