1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pencil Bucks

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Silverose01, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Here's a quick WIP picture of the bucks I've been working on
    Real small piece that was for a class I was in

[​IMG]

Tell me what you guys think :D

2. pretty cool, so what are the squares for in the other pic? i see some of you guys using them, so day i'm going to try my
    hand at that.

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

by looking at this I can tell that you draw deer really well! keep it up, you've captured their expressions nicely.
    I see a couple proportional things that could easily be fixed. the rump and legs on the left side deer look a little too wide for the reference photo. but it doesn't look bad, you just made him a bigger bodied deer ;)

4. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

its a grid system used for breaking the reference down into smaller areas which makes the information less confusing and also lets the artist isolate the spot that they are working on so that they can step away from subject matter expectations

i agree with nina, the ass is a little wide on the deer on the left, dont just focus on the positive space look at the shape of the negative between the legs too.... drawing is like a puzzle and you're reassembling your image. very nice work so far though!

5. Silverose01

Nina and Bailey I'd been looking at that and noticed that I had messed up the mesurements on a row of squares, little mistake but I'd work on that on the next picture
    Thank you very much both of you, I really love drawing deer and wildlife :D
    And I love both of your works!

6. vadeerhunter

vadeerhunter New Member

Very Nice!!

7. Really like the start on this one Kari, I would say to go with what you fill. like on the drawing, sometimes it's hard to break away from trying to get an exact copy of a photo. None the less great start and hope to see more of your work.
    Michael

8. Harum

Harum Active Member

Grid drawing is a learning tool to help the budding artist refine their skills at duplicating a photo. Another use would be to aid in duplicating the exact visual line of a drawing or photo on a larger scale. One artist that uses this method to enlarge his drawings as well as his photos is Chuck Close. With his later pieces he has broken down his color in an almost neo-impressionistic style used for portraits yet still using the grid system. http://www.chuckclose.coe.uh.edu/life/index.html

Kari,
    I like what I've seen in your work. You have talent. I recommend not getting too caught up in duplicating photos. Give some time to understanding what is under the surface of the subject. Using a deer as an example, study the bone structure as well as how the muscle groups move the bone structure. Doing this will open up the ability to position a deer in any given scenario rather than being bound to a photograph. Nice drawing.
    -Pete

9. Silverose01

Thanks Harum
    I do free hand a lot of my work and have been doing these pictures with photos to better myself :)
    My pictures have gotten a lot better than before while also trying out new mediums
    I've done the skull painting, white on black picture, and just started a scratchboard bobcat. I've got two saws to paint like those I've seen on here :)
    The art on this site is really inspiring and I love getting back into drawing and painting so there will definitely be more pieces to come!

10. Harum

Harum Active Member

I look forward to seeing what you share next.
    There has been some beautiful things posted on here by some very talented individuals.
    -Pete

11. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Love 'em

12. dhart

dhart Active Member

They are loose and soft, nice work.

13. looking bear

looking bear New Member

oh, to be as young as you and have all the talent you have. Must be your Native American heritage coming out! Keep it going and continue to share your work with us.

14. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

I agree with harum if you truly want to be a master at a certain species it is key to learn the anatomy and bones, i assume you will pursue art in college a Little anyway and i am certain there they will make you in a semester learn human anatomy and do detailed drawings of bones and muscles as i did at first it seemed pointless but as you learn in art history about the past artist and the lengths they went through to obtain access to this information and the reasoning behind it you will understand the usefullness of it. and if you haven't already started learning, take an entrance in the positive negative space aspect of art if they teach that in one of your classes, it makes you work go allot quicker and with that you can break away from the grid system easy and feel more accomplished in your process.

15. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Looking good.

16. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Nice work.