1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Expanding in a subdivision

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by yelper, Jun 10, 2010.

1. expand on current property

40.0%
  2. Look to buy/lease commercial

20.0%
  3. Make due with what you have

40.0%
  1. yelper

yelper Do or Do Not.... There is no try

GA
    This is for those that have a shop at home & live in a subdivision only. I'm thinking of growing & need the space but hate the idea of not having my shop right out back where it is convenient for those late night comers or Sunday afternooners that show up. I don't have any trouble with my current neighbors. I just worry that I may be pushing it with erecting another building in the backyard as I already have the shop I'm in now down one side of the backyard. I would likely be able to build a 40x60 building but that would it. If I outgrew that I'd have to move out "on the street".

2. First thing - do you need to have any special zoning or conditional use permit that is required to operate your biz at your home? That may dictate what you can do as far as another building or even your existing building. If there are no zoning issues, then I would expand on site.

3. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    Make sure you check withhomeowners association if you you have one. They may be looking other way right now but if you built bigger they may speak out.

4. i agree, first step would be to check the local planning and zoning bylaws and look for building coverage percentage for your zoning area and or lot size. then you will have to look into set backs from property lines. and then building uses in the zone.

5. gab

gab Active Member

move into town and list your home address as a drop off point

6. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Chances are that if you build a 40x60 bldg your neighbors will complain. My neighborhood covenants prohibit businesses, but none of my neighbors seem to mind...most of them like to come and see what I'm working on and I make sure that I invite some of them when I am doing an unusual mount. My shop is 22x24 and I have no signage. I could probably get away with a sign, but a 40x60 would most certainly draw complaints because it would be bigger than my house. We don't have an HOA, but the neighbors can hire a lawyer to enforce the covenants....we did that once when a guy was trying to move in a mobile home and livestock on an empty lot.

7. gab

gab Active Member

I know a guy who biult a bldg in his back yard,but biult it on skids in case there was ever an issue.

8. catman

catman Active Member

Are you going to live there until you retire from taxidermy. Putting money into a commercial building on another commercially zoned lot could be a good chunk towards retiring when you want out.