1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What type of brid is this

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by mike g, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mike g

mike g Active Member

A good friend of mine emailed me a picture of this bird that visits her office building everyday. It is located in Manassas, VA.
    It resembles a Turkey but I don't beleive it is a Turkey Vulture because none of the head and neck features are the same with any picture you look at. It is driving all the girls crazy in the office because it looks in the windows at them.

Attached Files:

2. schenk

schenk Member

a black vulture? Looks like to me. Black headed or whatever they are called.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

That is hilarious! What a great shot!
    But yeah. It's a black vulture. 'Not as common as turkey vultures.
    I wonder if maybe it's seeing its reflection in the window?

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

definately black vulture had one nest in the top of and old house next door ready to fall in I walked in one day heard a noise and looked up this bird was staring at me through a hole in the kitchen ceiling from less than 3' liked to scared me half to death ,thinking it was going to puke on me [DO THEY REALLY DO THAT?]

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Yes, they will puke in self defense, but only as a last resort when they are really scared or injured. They don't have any other weapons, but that one by itself is pretty powerful!
    I had a client in Texas who accidentally hit one while driving. It had been happily eating a carcass on the side of the road but right as he drove by it took off, and then it ended up going through his windshield. He said that it not only wrecked his windshield but that it puked right before it died and ruined the interior of his car as well.

Eeeeuuuuwwww!