1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowwtann lifesize

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Steve Luc, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Steve Luc

Steve Luc New Member

I mounted a lifesize whitetail using krowwtann . As the mount dried the bear areas around the flanks and anis turned like for lack of a better term like tiny little blisters or sort of crystalized instead of a leather look.I don't think it matters for the longevity because the hair is set good and no slippage and those areas get painted anyway. I just wonder what happened. I thought mabey I didn't rinse the salt good enough.

2. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I don't see how you couldn't rinse the salt off good enough. Remove from solution. Rinse for several minutes. Neutralize, rinse, wash in Tide, rinse. Do final fleshing. Shampoo. Rinse. Unless you just pulled it from the solution and mounted it up there shouldn't be much if any salt left. I haven't seen any look of blisters or mineral deposits left on the bare skin when using K-tan. Sometimes the bare skin dries a little darker than a commercial tan but like you said, the areas in question are going to be painted. Take a soft wire brush or toothbrush and give it a brush. Could it just be the outer layer of the skin flaking?

3. sometimes when you do not get all the "silvering" off a hide...(the true skin color is bluish) I have found that this will occur in small areas...i just take light grain sandpaper and brush it...usually does the trick

4. Sounds to me like you're on the right track Steve, and excess salt left in a skin will have an effect on longevity, especially when the skin has been in a high concentration of acid. You really have to shampoo a white tail that's been in krowtan?

5. Steve Luc

Steve Luc New Member

Keith, I usually don't use tide like the directions say.That time I hand washed the skin in kemal 4. It really dosn't suds-up that much but I didn't think that it mattered that much. When I rinsed I probably used 5 gallons of fresh water 5 times. I probably rinsed it that much before neutralization too.

6. Ah, that's the problem you did not follow the directions and then wonder what to hell happened.

Also shampoos after the mount has dried. just dont wet it totally down.

7. If you have a heavy haired whitetail that's a lifesize skin, you will have a hard time rinsing the salt residue out in that small amount of water, even if you rinse it several times, the volume is just too small for the hair to open up and rinse down deep, try using a barrel or garbage can so the skin can have some movement to it.

Now I'm a little in the dark about krowtan, other than looking at the bottle and seeing it's a whole bunch of acids dumped together, I'm going to assume it is tanning instead of just pickling. If this is the case, the tanner in me wants to know why you would subject a tanned skin to the harsh, high pH of washing it in sodium carbonate (powdered laundry detergent) does the guy that makes it actually recommend that?

8. Liquid tide is the recommend product. and yes it does make a difference.