1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mending a pelt with a huge patch of lost fur

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Juuku, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Juuku

Juuku New Member

I just purchased a really nice cased Virginia coyote but realized there was a huge rub spot on its belly where a big chunk of fur is gone and all that is exposed is the leather. My question for those seasoned experts or anyone who has dealt with this problem is what is the best way to salvage the pelt? The good thing is that the leather is nice and thick so is there a possibility I could somehow find fur that matches the color of the belly fur and cut away at some of the extra leather and sew on a piece of new fur to patch it up? I'm sure there's a way to fix this so any insight and opinions are welcomed as well as appreciated :)

2. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

What are you wanting to do with it? Lifesize? Have it laying down or get creative w/ habitat. Sneaking through some grass etc. Yes it could be patched if you found some matching hide.

3. Juuku

Juuku New Member

Yes, its lifesize. I hadn't really thought about a body gesture but I do like the idea of having it lie down- maybe even sunning or lazily stretched out on a big rock face. As a beginner I was fretting over the idea of wasting a perfectly good pelt because of something so small as a rub spot but I think I wasn't looking at the big picture, so to speak. Thank you so much for the input!

4. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

No problem. I have been messing w/ taxidermy for about 15 yrs now and still consider myself a beginner. lol. Sometimes we just have the blinders on and need someone to point something out that changes our perspective on things. Good luck.

5. Juuku

Juuku New Member

That's so true. I think that's the best thing though when you feel so frustrated or just at wits end that someone will come along and give you a fresh perspective or a suggestion that just makes you have an 'AHA!' moment that jump starts your brain. Thanks again.