1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please Critique My 4th Fish -- LM Bass

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, Jun 13, 2010.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I stripped and re-painted my repro bass for a 4th time. I antiqued it and paid closer attention to reference as well as a video. I think it is much better than the last one I put on here for critique however I still see problems. Sorry for the not so great photos, I had to take them myself. So don't hold back, tell me what is wrong.

Attached Files:

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

head

Attached Files:

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

body

Attached Files:

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

looking good, except for the markings...check ur references....your makings are not up to par yet

5. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

you really need to practice your airbrushing...try to make all spots the same....ur shooting way too much paint

6. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Getting better. I'm new to fish myself and all I can say is, this is a lot closer to a real fish than the last one. I am in no way qualified to critique but the markings painted on the fish seem to be too equal in size and shape. Gotta give you props for taking the advise and wanting to learn. I don't have the stones to post my fish for a critique lol. Much improved. Strip it down and go for it again.

7. Manny

Manny New Member

The antiqueing looks good...

You have to gain more control of your airbrush.
    Try turning the paint way down to do all your detail...

You can use a charcoal pencil to rough in all your markings, before painting them.

Also on your belly spots try using a charcoal pencil only. Notice how they fade in color as they work down the fish.

8. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    Looks like you figured out how to antique, and the green is better. However, what reference did you use that showed circles with a line between them?

9. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

thanks Manny, can I just get a charcoal pencil at like Micheals or Walmart or does it have to be made for taxidermy work?

I wasn't exactly going for the circles and line, it just kind of happened. that will change on the next one. I'm using reference of fish I've caught just trying to get them to look the same.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to strip it and repaint it again soon.

10. your color looks very good, i see some air brush practice might help learning how to make smmaller patterns and lighter and darker tones. instesd of painting straight line patterns behind the eye or just painting a circle for the patterns on the side learn to paint each scale one at a time some a lighter or darker, some on the scale some in between the scale. tom sextons fish finishing book is a great start.

11. greener

greener New Member

Yes a soft charcoal from any store will work, doesnt need to be made for Taxidermy. And what I would do is try to do them in layers. Do them after you antique the fish. Then paint your light color on and then go back and fill them in again. This way they will be alittle more subtle. The belly spot the same way. If you havent already done so look for Coles painting a large mouth bass. that will really help out. Keep at it though you'll get it.

12. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks everyone. And that circle pattern will never happen again. haha. I'm definetly going to try out the pencils next time.

13. bnoody

bnoody Member

A couple things that will likely help your airbush technique in addition to the good advice you have already received.

Thin your paint down, especially the darker colors you use for your markings. If you are using waterbase paints I would recommend 20 - 40% alcohol as a thinner depending on how thick the paint is. My preference is WA poltranspar paints. Also add a little retarder to the paint, if it is drying on the tip add a little more.

I like to use 15 - 25 pounds of pressure for my detail work, you can just about draw it in this way. Apply it very lightly and add some of your colors. It is easy to go over the detail markings again if they are not bold enough. Most bass have fairly subtle markings.

I also recommend avoiding black in most cases. Look real close to your reference photos. Rarely do I ever see a true black on fish. Black umber is usually as dark as a go. Dark Bass green is my favorite color for detailing a LM Bass.

Keep at it, your making progress.

14. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

thanks Brian. I use dark bass green for my detail work. I will try some of your tips next time.

15. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

Listen to Brian. He paints a mean fish.

16. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Try practicing your spots and patterns on paper or cardboard.

17. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Next time you fillet some fish save the skins and dry them over a large plastic pop bottle that way you will have the real thing to practice on and you can just pitch them when your done, listen to these guys on the painting and keep practicing its good to see young people getting involved good luck.