1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Time Shipping Deer Shoulder Mount...Help.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by inkyspal, Feb 27, 2007.

1. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    Need some advice on shipping a deer shoulder mount. What kind of box/container do you recommend? Is it necessary to use a crate? What type of packing material is best?
    Thanks!

2. I build crates for all mine. 1/2" plywood top and bottom, 7/16" wafer board for the rest. 2"x2"'s in all corners on the inside. Expensive to ship this way but atleast I have confidance it will make the trip.
    Kraig

3. Kelly

Kelly New Member

Don't waste your time and money ! get Kelly to make a crate.. "Ready To Go" 1 866 353 3101

4. Trotax

Trotax Member

We use cardboard boxes for most deer. The size I think is 24x20x42. Brace them good with 2x2s inside and screw the backboard to the box using fender washers underneath. Weve had very few problems. I think the boxes cost abvout 6 dollars.

5. never ship a shoulder mount in a cardboard box, even if it has a wood frame. The biggest reason is that no shipping company will stand behind an insurance claim, unless it is in a "hard"crate. I use a 2x2 frame with the least expensive plywood/waferboard I can find. Cardboard will not stand any type of blow/fall to the sides. Nor will it stand up to a smaller but heavier box sitting on top of itself while it is stacked and transported.
    I use to try the Cheapest way possible, but that didn't fit well with my mission statement. Besides, if a person was the money to buy an out of state licence, pay for lodging and transportation, and take time off of work, he/she can afford a "CUSTOM" built crate for $65 and shipping cost of $60 - $135.

6. Pack box with foam peanuts too.........