1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best whitetail deer form ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hunt4blue, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Oh, while you can preach that all deer are the same (and they DO share like features) there are subtle differences from region to region. Do you ever wonder why the name for deer (odocoileus virginianus) has so many variations from region to region? Could it be genetic difference... ???

2. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

you didnt answer my question.

3. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

OR could it be that the sculptors have made it so idiot proof that there is no need to worry about genetic variation now because of how many different lines of forms there is?

4. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Ryan, you don't get it a deer mount is a deer mount regardless where it comes from, the forms are generic so its gonna look like a deer regardless of where it came from. A southern deer on Ricks form will share the same features as a northern deer on Ricks form as they are BOTH MOUNTED ON RICKS FORM!

5. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

so, why do so many prefer one form because it "fits their deer better" ?

6. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

D'uh, people are creatures of habit Ryan, they develop a preference and stick with it. It can also make different forms harder to mount on because of the subtle differences between ones "favorite" and one they have never tried!

7. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Ryan, Whats that saying under your avatar? ;)

8. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    They just think it does Ryan. :eek:

9. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    Some forms have smaller facial features while some have larger it does depend on where the deer was harvested. True a deer is a deer but they vary alot in size.

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

x2

11. tas

tas New Member

Hiltion emppley forms work the best for the northern deer i think

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I hate the Coombs forms. I like McKenzie for my East Michigan deer, Brian Jones likes Meder for his West Michigan deer. Where the deer was shot is very important to where you buy the forms. So ask each hunter where they shot their buck,, and buy accordingly through McKenzie.

13. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

here in VA. MC kenzies works nicely because they are southern deer but get a few that need Ben mears or even revolutions it really depends on what part of the country your in up north is differant than the south

14. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

i used one ben mears this year and didnt care for it. thats my only pref either way really.

15. I like Ben Mears on some deer. The Mears forms have a thick face.

16. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Meder, Mears , The new HQ's , Coombs, Rick Carters all work well for me. For the Big ones up here in Northren W.I. and Canandian deer I do like Mears for the full neck and face.

17. Mink

Mink New Member

I've tried a few different forms, but so far the one I've liked best has been a Jim Allred form. Bought it at my state taxidermy convention for a little spike buck that I had, and it fit really nicely and I love the pre-molded nose interior. The eyes were easy to set, too.

And the absolute worst for I've used so far was a D. Chase form somebody gave me for free-- and now I know why it was free! The shoulders were waaayyy too big, even for the large 10-pointer I had, and the face was too narrow. I adjusted it some,but my deer still looked weird. But I sold it to some guy who didn't know the difference (all he saw was big antlers!), so it worked out anyway! :)

18. zubba

zubba Active Member

Matuska for me. Everything falls into place. Nicest brisket I've seen yet. Nice full muzzle. I just wish I would have tried them sooner.

19. zubba

zubba Active Member

Oh, and Ryan...when I seen your post, I thought of this thread...

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,210674.0.html

LMAO

20. Buckdown1011

Buckdown1011 New Member

Joe Meder forms all the way. If not then McKenzie makes nice forms. I use them 90% of the time