1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spade Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brian Claar, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Can any of you guys tell me how, what to use and where to catch Spade Fish on the Outer Banks without going on a charter boat to a wreck. I'm staying in Nags Head and fishing on my boat out of Oregon Inlet. Would it be better to fish off of a pier or bridge?

2. Manny

Manny New Member

Every year I go to Virginia Beach ( East coast )

But I always end up catching them in the deepest part of the water from fishing pier.

Maybe talk to the closest bait shop from where you are fishing , to see whats up.

3. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

Tiny hooks, small pieces of FRESH shrimp. Also small pieces of barrel jellyfish...............

4. I'm with Capt. Bryan small hooks( get some strong ones) and I like to use cut pieces of squid, it is very hard for them to get of the hook.

5. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Do sand fleas work?

6. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

Sand fleas are mainly for pompano. Spadefish feed almost exclusively on jellies.

7. Manny

Manny New Member

I too use nothing but squid... they cant get the tough stuff off.

8. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

OK Thanks guys.
    No wonder I'm not catching them. I've been using to big of hooks and bait. I let you know how it works out.

9. Make sure get a pretty stout hook, spadefish have a lot of pull. You might think you got a 5 pounder,but when you reel it in, its less than a pound ;D

10. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

Brian, use cut up pieces of the foot of a sea clam. Spadefish are schooling, and not bottom feeders. Shrimp "may" work in Florida, however in NC, sea clams are the best choice. Spadefish surface and swarm on a slack tide, and will often not eat. Wait for a moving tide over structure and fish with a bobber drop rig. Cut the foot in small pieces, and use the rest of the clam for chum. GLTY

11. Green power bait for trout.

12. Manny

Manny New Member

Thats exactly what I did last year... The guy beside me caught one believe it or not. He was going to throw it back and I asked him for it. After trying to dig the foot out so I could keep the shell, I baited it up and it was GOLD BABY !

13. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

John C. post any link supporting green power bait.bottom line,if you have fished for Spadefish before, you would know how finicky and selective they are. Green powerbait for trout does not and will never convince a schooling fish to feed. Just like the post about shrimp. shrimp and Spadefish in real life will hardly ever cross paths.total different water column.Spadefish are opportunistic feeders and not target feeders.bottom line, after many years figuring out what makes them tick, nothing beats a piece of sea clam behind a chum slick of clam.

14. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

plastic baggie....tied looks like a jelly and it works

15. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

hodx. are you kidding? get real. Spadefish are the most finicky, picky eaters you will ever come across. if you think for one minute, that your plastic bag idea would work, you are nuts. I really think you just thought that up!...tell us where and when you saw it work, and what tide.

16. Hey before you go bs knocking it, that is what we used in the Gulf around oil rigs. The green power bait eggs. also caught some queen angels, common angels, french angels and tons of common grey trigger fish.

17. Well i'm not sure about the spade fish up the east coast, but I know down here along the northern gulf coast you can catch spade fish all day long on dead shrimp and squid. Heck we have even caught some on cut bait. Fishwork did you know down here that there is no size or bag limit on spadefish either, most people do not even fish for them and I even know people that consider them trash fish.

18. fishbuilder

fishbuilder New Member

Fishworks, Why the hostility? ???

19. I'm not quit sure what you are trying to say with these statements, you say shrimp want work cause they want ever cross paths,so tell me how in the world a spadefish comes in contact with a clam since they are not bottom feeders. Better yet how does a spadefish get the clam out of its shell? I agree that spadefish might like clams, but clams are not a natural food source for spadefish, that would be jellyfish. So don't come on here bashing people about how they catch fish and acting like you are the only person that has ever caught a spadefish.

20. Brian, did you get the answer you were looking for?

Basically, tie a cigarette butt onto a string and the spade fish will jump into your cooler.