1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tips for Doing first Whitetail Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Colin Lackey, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Colin Lackey

Colin Lackey New Member

Hey Taxidermy Net users, Iam Colin Lackey. Iam new to this site. A friend suggested this site. So Iam trying it out and being on it for 30 min. I realize this is such a great site for Diehard Taxidermy people(Like me). Iam just starting a whitetail deer which I shot just out of Eleva,Wisconsin( It is a little town in west WI its where I live). So Iam asking if any of you folks can give me tips. I will show pics along the way of my deer.

Thanks,
    Colin M. R. Lackey

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Get rick`s whitetail DVD set , and watch before you begin.

3. vadeerhunter

vadeerhunter New Member

X1000 Excellent Video!!!

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You guys are no help at all. He's new here ... I can hear him asking "Who's Rick?" Next time, try doing this for people ...

Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount: A to Z
    with Rick Carter

Our newest studio videotape from WASCO is one that has been anxiously awaited! Two-time North American Whitetail Champion, and two-time Joe Bruchac Award Winner, Rick Carter of Georgia, shares his techniques in one of the best taxidermy videotapes ever offered. In this latest video filmed in the WASCO Studio, Rick clearly demonstrates the entire procedure for mounting a commercial whitetail deer shoulder mount. From skinning to finishing, absolutely nothing is left out. 4 Hours. (2 DVDs.) Click here for free preview, chapter information, and customer reviews.

Order number DVD270 (2 DVD video discs) . . . . . . . 29.95
    (plus shipping & handling)

Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount: A to Z
    with Sallie Dahmes

Two-time World Champion deer taxidermist Sallie Dahmes gives one of the most in-depth seminars on whitetail taxidermy that has ever been recorded. Sallie demonstrates everything in this four hour lesson, and we mean everything! From receiving a deer (and going through her check-in procedure) to skinning (the Y incision), fleshing, tanning, mounting and finishing the details, it's all here in this four-hour video. Newly revised to include the Lutan-F method of tanning, this video is "jam-packed" with information and is a must for anyone considering serious whitetail deer taxidermy. Recorded in the Breakthrough Studio. 4 Hours. (2 Tapes.)

Order number VHS215 (VHS videotape cassette) . . . . 29.95
    Order number DVD215 (DVD video disc) . . . . . . . . . 29.95
    (plus shipping & handling)

Then for raw beginners, there is the Beginners Series ...

Lesson 6: Mounting a Whitetail Deer. With Sallie Dahmes.

This is undoubtedly the finest tape ever offered for the beginning taxidermy student. Top-rated instructor Sallie Dahmes presents the entire procedure from skinning the deer to finishing with waxes in this comprehensive video. If you ever wanted the learn "the right way" to create a beautiful shoulder mount deer, then you can't do any better than with this lesson. Sallie covers skinning out the head, fleshing, dry preservative, earliners, antler setting, sewing, eye sculpting, and much, much more! Item number

DVD06 ....... 19.95

There are other tapes and DVD's available from WASCO - Wildlife Artist Supply Company http://taxidermy.com/ - the host company of this site.

Welcome, Colin. Good luck, and my condolences! ;) ;D

John.

5. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Wait Rusty,, maybe they are telling him to get my video....

oh crap,,, I don't have a video...

Alright,, follow LordRusty's advise..

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    LOL! Now that's funny! [​IMG]

John.

7. MB in NC

MB in NC Aim small. Miss small.

Rick Carter's whitetail A-Z DVD is worth every penny.

8. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Click on my banner and watch the free videos they will get you started, Then buy Rick Carters video!

9. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Yup Taz's video are priceless for a beginner...I definately spent alot of time watching them when I got started. Good luck and ask any question's ya got right here if ya get stumped, there are ton's of people ready and willing to help ya out!

10. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

besides watching Ricks video over and over and over and over.........Get some reference and study till you cant anymore. Learn what goes where, and how different parts react when they move a certain way. Dont guess.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Here is a good article with photos and tips.

http://www.realdeerforms.com/MountDeer.html

12. Colin Lackey

Colin Lackey New Member

Thanks everbody these are some very helpful tips I shall use them.

Sincerly,
    Colin Lackey

13. Colin,

I am in Rushford, MN about 75 miles from you. If you want to come to my shop on a Saturday, we can do it together if you want. Send me a PM or call me at (507) 864-7508

Bruce Norton

14. Dang! That kind of tip right there will save you alot of trouble and mistakes. Great opportunity to learn more in a day than you will in a year by trial and error.

15. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you don't take the offer from Bucknut you are missing a good opportunity. If you go into it ready and willing to learn you will get farther and faster than trying to teach yourself.

16. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

X2, that is a very nice gesture. U better take advantage.

17. Steven .B

Steven .B New Member

Take him up on the offer I'm self taught with a few tips here and there and it will save a lot up errors. I'm on my 60th whitetail and have it done close but not quite as good as I want... This will make you better faster!!!!!!