1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Making The Wife Proud!!!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by muddobber, Jun 18, 2010.

1. I read lots of posts on here about guys working on deer in their house or I even read one time about a guy who was going to try to degrease a coyote skull in the dishwasher. I thought I'd share my wife's introduction into the world of taxidermy. My first attempt to mount anything was a deer. I had already tanned the cape and was trying to do the final fleshing. Well it wasn't going to well as I was using a knife and had no idea of what I was doing. Just before I was about to have a screaming fit I remembered reading a post on here about someone using a hand grinder. Well I go get mine and I begin to try it out. This was really working well compared to the knife and by the way did I mention I was set up on my back porch. I'm fleshing away with the grinder for a little while and stopped to inspect my work with pride when I heard one of my kids yell "mom come look what daddy did". I looked up and my french glass doors were covered in tanned flesh from the grinder. Well she was really proud of me. The good thing was I got a new shop out of the deal. Anybody else have any stories along these lines?

2. linder

linder New Member

When i first got back from,taxidermy school I had been back about two months not getting much more practice with trying to turn a old garage into a shop;when i finally got my first deer in. I was fleshing by hand about four hours ,mounting start early the next day with my new helper and bride[had been maried all of 3 mon. she had no idea what taxidermy was about] around 8a.m. .at the time i was afraid of messing up [i thought it was the eqoivalent of brain surrgry] it was around two the next a.m when we got through.I just knew it was back to the parts store but i stuck it out and so has she and its been a fun ride.

3. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

the first time my wife came out to the shop and saw the cape on the form with the face half hangin of before it was pasted and tucked... the ears droopin down and the eyes half covered...her expression was priceless and unprintable lol oh it still makes me laugh...says she doesnt like to see them till they are finished now!!

4. I get the same reaction from my wife when I'm mounting one up and she walks in. She hates seeing the work in progress, but after I'm finished she becomes an award winning taxidermist herself and begins telling me what I need to do to make it look better. Go figure I should have just asked her from the beginning and skipped all the studying and learning part!!!LOL :)

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I got my new shop when my wife cam home and saw my 1 yr old daughter sitting at the dinner table eating luch at one end of the kitchen table while I was at the other end splitting and turning the nastiest green hide you ever smelt.

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

When I first started doing taxidermy I was also building my first home, my floors were still plywood but everything was sheet rocked and painted. the PA game commission use to have a yearly auction of poached , auto hit, illegal wildlife it was actually quite a auction wish they still had it! at the time I didn't have a shop, my basement was gravel floored with no electric and it was freezing out! anyhow I bought 2 bears a tiny cub and a 200lb bear both were whole.
    when I got home the cub went directly in the freezer but the other needed to be skinned and salted because it was fully thawed so I unrolled a sheet of plastic on the living room floor tossed the bear on it and began skinning about the time I got half way into it my wife and kids came home and right behind them were friends of ours. so why they drank coffee and chatted I continued on skinning in the middle of the living room. bear turned out nice though! lol

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I don't have those wife problems. I wait until she goes shopping before I fling the flesh, spin skins in her washing machine and simmer in her pots.

8. Well Greg she's gonna forget something at the house one day and BUSTED!!! Good luck is all I can say.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

She will have a decision to make at that jucture, I suppose.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

My wife did not appreciate it when I took her hair brush to groom my first deer, and she gave me the eye when I took one of her butter knives for a tucking tool.

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i got rid of the first 2, because of stuff like that....my new one is perfect...she even brings me road kill home to me....gotta love that

12. If your luckey, mabey your story will end like mine. Like you guys i stated in the house as well, some 25 or so years ago. With some make you smile stories as well. Over the years asking her to just hold something,or needing a extra pair of hands, etc. Finaly talking her to just trying to do something. Well the wife has developed into one damn good taxidermist. She has completley taken over all the duck and cat work. The lady can flesh a deer just as fast as i can. No habitat base leaves here without at least asking her opnion. (weither taken or not). Anways funny now that i think about it. The same lady that said that stinks get that off my table. Is the same woman that has her hands in duck guts, Duck fat flying all over the place, And dont say a word when the bobcat is a little green and stinks. She just dives in and goes to skinning. Take a look at her duck work www.buckfevertaxidermy.com Well i wish you luck with the wife just have patience.
    Glenn

13. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

i gotta love and respect guys like crabcrazy and buckfeverallyear. maybe that is the one thing i need to change. maybe....

14. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

Sounds exactly like my wife. I appreciate her critique though. Sometimes you miss something. Now I usually ask for one. Keeps her involved a little. Just wish I could get her to skin them!

15. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

My wife has always pitched in. In fact one year she caped 99% of the deer I got in as I was VERY sick. She doesn't ASK to get involved but if I need her for anything she will do it. From skinning out animals to spinning out a turkey in the washer she never makes a peep.

16. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

My wife is getting better and better about it. She helps out taking work in, advertising, and around the shop a little bit. Every once in a while i will push the limit and try to wash sometjhing nasty in the kitchen sink.....

She is also a great critic......I will miss small problems when i am working. A lot of times I will be trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with a mount like a bobcat that I can't get right. She will come out, change an eye or ear position and it will look great. Then she will walk out and tell me to "keep practicing".......pretty funny!

17. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

My wife is a licensed taxidermist too. She teaches as well as doing commercial work. Thats why i can hunt from Sept. thru Nov. she takes in work, capes and preps as well as i do.
    Here she is doing a demo mount during our last class.

Attached Files:

18. I got busted when my wife asked what was all the hair doing in the wash machine???? i tried to play dumb< but I had just rinsed and spun dried a cape in our wash machine. I havent gotten a new shop out of the deal yet, but now I know to rinse the washer out after I am done to hide the evidence :)

19. haha ive been caught once by the old lady when she came home from work early and i had my deer skull boiling in a large pot on the kitchen stove. she said she was leaving for a while and when she got back it better not be there. kind of reminds me to of the time i got caught by my dad . it was a school day and i skipped had somethin cookin in the oven. anyway my dumb arse didnt relize it was rainin and my PA works outdoors. well he got rained off and came home early to find me at home from school dryin mary jane in his oven. i pannicked when i seen him pull up and instead of turnin oven off turned oven light on. he came in and said what ya cookin bout sh*# my pants. well lets say it got confiscated.

20. D.Herg

D.Herg New Member

Ohio
    I think a lot of us have been caught with putting deer in the washing machine, me included. I thought I was doing a fine job by filling the house with a long lasting air freshner when I skinned a skunk on the porch with the sliding door opened. I knew I was in trouble when the dog was hiding and didn't want anything to do with me. Yep, I made her real proud of me. The worst time that she was really proud of me was when I washed a deer in the bath tub. Of course she was not home at the time. I sprayed all the loose hair down the drain, wiped the tub out spotless, no way was she going to catch me, so I thought! Later that night, when she decides to take a bath, sitting in the tub as it is filling up, deer hair starts coming up out of the drain and is floating all around in her bath water. She starts screaming, cussing me with names, some that I knew, some that I think she made up, but knew they had to be some kind of cuss word. I ran into the bathroom to see what was going on, saw her sitting in a bathtub full of deer hair. thinking of what to do now, I handed her razor to her turned and ran out the front door as fast as I couuld. Learned my lesson about taking dead unmounted stuff into her house if I want to live there to. We laugh about it now, but she sure was mad when it happened, yep I make the wife proud, and hairy ;D