1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fiberglass replica tools

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Brtnpage, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Brtnpage

Brtnpage New Member

hello there, everyone. im just getting into fiberglass replicas. i've always loved them, but now im starting to actually purchase them. since the REAL cheap ones are unfinished blanks, it would be nice to be able to get them, and trim, and smooth, and get the fins, and such on myself, to cut down the cost by half, which ends up being a pretty large amount of money. if anyone could enlighten me on what tools i would need, and what i would actually have to do, it would be much appreciated (i know detailed explanations on what i've asked would be like a book, basically, so any explanations, simple, or whatever, would be cool) thank you, and have a great day
    -Burton

2. Craig W

Craig W New Member

The main thing needed is apoxie sculpt and a dremel tool with a few bits.

3. Burton,
    You will definitely need a good grinding tool. (Dremmel) and carbide grinding mills etc. to clean the "flashing" from the replica blank. Also, use a dust mask when grinding, and I highly recommend grinding outdoors, as the fiberglass particles will go everywhere.
    I personally make or use blanks that do not require grinding or involve a minimal amount of grinding. (Such as Arp's Studio blanks). Here again, the quality of the replica blank, is in accordance to how much you are willing to pay.

4. den007

den007 Active Member

The fellow on the last post is correct. Don't waste time grinding seams. Pay to have it done. Grinding is not fun and for the time you put into it, does not pay well. Get high quality, ready to paint fish, and spend your time painting. It is more profitable as far as $ return for the time you put in. Think of hourly wage, not profit margin. If you do decide to grind, use a flex shaft tool with a thin handle.....much more control. I don't like epoxy for seams because to feather them out, you have 2 surfaces of differing harndness. You can try a thickened gel coat or some light colored bondo, then gel coat over it.

5. Burton

Burton Guest

actually, im interested only for personal use, and not for profit, or sales, or anything, just for the things i want for myself