1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Listing Prices on Website

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by NatureGoddess, Jun 24, 2010.

1. I'm in the process of slowly creating my own website. I'm curious what ya'll think about the benefits and/or detriments to having a full listing of prices on your website? Its been something that has been weighing on my mind lately and I can't decide quite what to do. I do think customers like to see a listing of prices, but I do see benefits of not listing as well (i.e. you get the chance to talk to your customer directly about the potential mount and convince them why they should entrust their trophy to you).

Just wondering what opinions are on this and what you've done in the past?

Thanks!

~Leslie

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

As a customer (I'm only just getting into taxidermy), I like to see the prices. To be honest, when I get on a website without prices, if their work is not perfect, I don't consider them much. But on the other hand, if their prices are too high, I don't consider them either. It's a catch 22, but if I were you, and if I ever start my own business, I would put my prices on the website and also do the persuading on the website. And maybe put something like: "To ask about pricing, call....." Just my opinion, but you should make your own choice.

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I list prices on my site. When I am interested in a service or product that I searched for online, I always like to see pricing. I think it is a convenience thing for most people.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I hate sites without pricing. I understand some people would rather talk with the customer about prices, and I've even heard of shops that charge different customers different prices. I put my prices on my site, and as far as I can tell it has only been a positive. It cuts down on the price shopper calls, because all of the info is available without taking up my time. I figure if they have made it to my price list on my site, then they have already seen my work. Now they only call if they like what they see, and are willing to pay the going rate.

5. loneleaf

loneleaf New Member

Never ever list your prices on anything it is a simple way for people to price shop you. You want people to choose you for your work not you because of your prices. Giving your prices puts the focus on your price not your work! Show -case your talents and the quality of your work and when it comes time for them to make a decision on who to do the work hopefully they will be inspired by your abilities and not what they think is the best price!

6. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I posted my prices online. I hope it weeds out price shoppers. I still get quite a few calls asking prices and I will try to sell them, but I really don't want to deal with folks who can't afford my work. If I have to sell them to make them pay my prices, chances are they will be slow to pick up etc.

7. Better for them to price shop online than call and price shop....and if that is what they are doing why fool with them anyway....they will end up being a headache. I have always posted mine....if they like the work they know what it costs and if the price is more than they will pay I don't here from them and waste time talking.

I have heard folks say that they feel if prices are not on the site they become suspicious. I have heard other taxidermists say they look at pricing of sites around the country to get a basis of what they should charge to be in line with a national average.

It is, of course, to each their own...there can be pros and cons to everything.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

If you don't want phone calls up the ying yang during hunting season then I suggest you list prices. At least your giving your potential customers a hint on where you stand on prices. If you like talking and having time taken out of your day explaining prices, then DON'T list the prices. Another thing to consider when listing prices is that it gives your competitors an idea on what you charge. Now the dumb ass ones who work out of their basement or wood shed on the weekends will cut their prices to beat you. Guys who do taxidermy in your area who work at it full time and have made a name for themselves could care less what you charge.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I want people to price shop me. If my pricing isn't in line with what they are wanting to spend then there's no need for them to call. I would encourage you to go to my site, then tell me that "Giving your prices puts the focus on your price not your work!" I don't think it does that at all. JMO

10. Completely disagree. Yes it is an easy way for people to price shop, I agree with that. But I personally do not want to talk to the price shoppers anyhow. If they are not inspired by the photos of my work on the website and want to dicker with prices they can call Casey or whomever else they want to call. I do not need to take time out of my day to talk to the price shoppers.

11. loneleaf

loneleaf New Member

I do hear both sides of the story, I have personally found that people that call me after viewing my website have already made up their mind that they want me to do the work, and the people that don't call are the ones I don't want anyway. I also believe that if they call you it gives you the opportunity to share with them the kind of individual that you are. Many people will be willing to pay more for their taxidermy because of the kind of person you are. There is a level of credability and accountability that come into play. Speaking to them will give you the opportunity to show those qualities that are hard attributes to show on a website. I know that it may take some of your time but if that sells them on you then isn't worth your time! The web site may sell some of your clients but I feel that your web site did it's job if you get a call, then it is your job to sell them on you. This is simply my opinion and by no way am I putting anyone down for listing prices. We are all different and that is what makes us who we are and makes us each unique to our clients. If we all did it the same, believed the same, none of us would give our clients a reason to choose one taxidermist over another!

12. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

JMO, I think they should be listed, for all the pro reasons listed above! :D

13. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Active Member

My prices are posted. It cuts down on the phone callls like most here!

14. x2

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

dont list prices in your ads brochures or website.......get them to call so you have an ear for a moment or two.........additionally, you wont have to change everything when increasing you prices.......

16. loneleaf

loneleaf New Member

Cole, I must say you do some great work and your web site is very nice, but all of my prices are higher than yours and I've been in the taxidermy business a much shorter amount of time. Now you would have known that had I listed my prices on my web site but I don't. So maybe generating those phone calls is a vital component in running a professional studio. Maybe I am crazy for not posting my prices but I have not found a price on anyones price list who has said to list your price,( who has posted on this topic), that is higher than mine. Listing your price may help cut down on phone calls but It can also really hurt your business because you are not giving yourself the chance to educate potential clients and show them your business skills.

17. catman

catman New Member

I do not like to try and sell my work. My website does that for me. If someone is on the fence when it comes to what it costs, I will do nothing to try to sway them my way. There was a time when this was not true for me. Look at my prices, look at my work, I really only need a tracking number the next time you call. Better yet email it. That's what having a 125 plus lifesize backlog will do to you. I really only list the base price, but many mounts in my gallery are base price mounts. Most have options. Options cost more.

18. gab

gab Active Member

taxidermy is a business like any other.it's silly to have a website and not list prices.i like to put myself in my customers shoes.I get very frusrated when someone is trying to sell a product without telling me how much it costs its wasting both of ours' time.
    one curious thing is a few years ago when this question was asked on here,the opinions were exactly opposite what they are now.alot more on here said they don't list them.

19. I have always had my prices listed. Why not?

20. I personally do not see many instances where me talking to someone is going to sway them in. When they call they are already price shopping. They already are pre programmed that if they do not hear the price they are willing to pay then they move to the next one on the list. On rare occasions I can discuss the differences in my mount compared to the competition but like I said "rare" occasions. I prefer to get the clients from word of mouth who drop stuff off without even worrying about the price.

What does having higher prices than Cole have to do with listing prices? The thing that is going to get people in Coles door is when they see the work, and if they like his prices. It is as simple as that. I have yet to see the potential client that wants to be "educated with business skills" The only thing they want is to get there mount done as cheaply and as fast as possible.