1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Info on deer stand climber

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Marsh Master, Jun 27, 2010.

1. I need some feedback. Never used one, and I don't know which to buy. Safest, lightest, easiest to use. Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. rebel

rebel New Member

summit viper
    lite
    quite
    easy to use
    very safe and comfortable i sleep in mine all the time

3. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork [email protected]

Ross, i have had several different ones and i can say that the Summit viper is by far the best stand i have used. i hunt mostly public land and usually walk at least a mile to where i hunt.i have no problem carring this stand,at 19lbs. very easy to get on the tree and once you use it a time or two you want be afraid to climb as high as you want. mine is about 5 years old and i use it about 10 times a week during a 4 month deer season. the new ones are even nicer than the one i have . i dont think you will find a better built or safer stand for the money. i use mine for bow and gun hunting. they have one that the front lets down , but i dont like moveing parts. less noise.

4. $240 is the lowest price I see on this one. Thanks for the input guys. Now.............anyone have a used one they'd like to sell? ;D

5. peedeedeer

dont look at the price. it is the only thing between you and the ground. good luck on finding a used one. lol

6. I know. I'm not skimpin' on price, but there's always a deal, John. ;)

7. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Summit Viper. I bought mine on here used last year for $125 because the owner didn't need it anymore. It's a great stand, even if you can find a used older model, they are very safe and reliable, (also nice and light to carry compared to other stands). If you go used and get an older model, it's a good idea to add on some upgrades like climbing stirrups for your feet, new shrink wrap for the cables, and new grip tape for the standing part.

8. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Ross, I have the summit viper xl. Although a buddy has an api and it has the chains instead of the cables. We have walked into the woods together on numerous occasions and truthfully his is quiter and can get up smaller trees than the summit can. I do love my summit though. Dan

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

80% of all hunting accidents and injuries are caused by treestands. That means that you should invest in a quality safety harness as well and those weigh about 5 to 7 pounds on top of the weight of the tree stand.

10. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Summit Viper for me also, and I agree with George on the safety harness, but I use the safety vest, instead of the harness.

11. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I use the Summit Viper and I always wear the hunters safety system vest. The vest is the only way to go, spend the $125, you won't be sorry.

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Put me down for Summit Viper too.

13. I'm set on the Viper from all the responses in regards to it being the best, but I have a question. Is the classic okay, or should I get the SS?

14. nitt

nitt Member

Summit definitely Ive spent plenty o days all day from presunup to dark in one and man are they comfortable

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Guys, I have to apologize on one issue. That's "harness". In the world of hunter ed, those are the words, but most of the old "harnesses" have been replaced with "vests". Since Hunter Safety System is a big sponsor of hunter ed, I have one and use one just like many of you do. HOWEVER, there's a couple of new restraint systems out there which are similar to the real "harnesses" that people wear on high rise and I know on airplane work. One of them is made BY HSS in fact. I like the HSS system because of the seatbelt lock ups.

16. peedeedeer

been using the classic for years. unless you just want the extras it is fine.

17. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

If you need to purchase a safety harness, I have the safeguard harness by muddy outdoors. Muddy is a great company right out of Missouri. I like it better than the hss which I gave to a friend that didn't have a harness. The thing about the Muddy harness is that it is lighter, has less material to absorb odors, has heavy duty parachute buckles that are QUIET, and they come with the climbing strap. I know the hss you use to have to buy that strap separately. They may come with them now, not sure. However, Muddy Outdoors sponsors Hunt Of A Lifetime and they also sponsor the State Champion Taxidermy awards in Missouri. The Muddy Safeguard Harnesses are a tangle free system and made with safety, quality and real hunting conditions kept in mind. VEST ARE FOR PROM NIGHTS. LOL Dan

http://www.gomuddy.com/shopping/Departments/Safeguard-Harness.aspx

18. I own both the summit and the api. The api is a much better stand. I have one viper and 3 api grand slam supremes. They are awesome and much quieter stands. Just my 2 cents

19. rebel

rebel New Member

i had an api it is good as long as you are sitting in it it dose not lock into the tree as well as the viper dose so ir you stand up there is a good chance the top portion will shift

20. Ross I have a summit viper that I might be interested in selling, its an older model, but let me know.