1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thawing out a turkey

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jlapp5, Jun 27, 2010.

1. jlapp5

jlapp5 Member

Hey guys, I shot a turkey this past spring and just put the whole thing in the freezer right after I got it. Although I've mounted other birds before, I've never done a turkey. How long does it usually take to thaw them out? I've heard 48 hours but would just like to make sure. Thanks...

2. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I had another one come in the other day and it was 85 degs. in the shop ....48 hrs hanging and it was still cold to the touch but good to skin out.

3. jlapp5

jlapp5 Member

ok thanks!

4. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I just had a guy drop off 2 turkeys that he had in the freezer since the end of May, so they are hangin and I will time this one to the hour for ya!! ;D ;)

AO

5. rroberts

rroberts New Member

i like to skin mine while it still a little froze inside not so bloody 24 hours or so when they start to feel soft a little

6. full fan

full fan New Member

Have to agree wit being a little frozen keeps them a lot cleaned, but man it is hard on the hand with all that cold.

7. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

checked em tonight and they will be ready by mornin time so in the fridge they go til I get home from work tomorrow afronoon.....bout 36 hrs on these..