1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need Help!! - Blood in down feathers

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JonHarleTX, Sep 23, 2006.

1. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I'm putting together a Sandhill but I have gotten myself stumped now and need some advice.

The bird is question came in with major wing damage, and as a result one whole half of his body was soaked (and I do mean soaked) in blood.

Normally, this isn't a problem, I'm definately not shy when it comes to a toothbrush and dawn, but let me tell ya folks.. I have paid my dues on this bird. I Cannot get this blood out of the down feathers.. I have scrubbed, peroxied, scrubbed, soaked, scrubbed some more.. it just is refusing.. I'm very apprehensive to use Whinks as the bird has some very nice iron markings characteristic of Sandhills that my client wants to keep. The down on that whole complete side of this bird is stained dirty pink,, for the most part the feathers themselves appear clean.Some of the large primaries seem to be holding stain on or near the quill..... However.. when the bird is blown dried, that half of the bird dries as if it were greasy... I KNOW IT IS NOT GREASY>> IT CANT BE>> it's been washed and dried 3 times now...

Nancy and I have colaborated on this situation this afternoon, and fumbled around with the idea that crane feathers are more absorbant than your average bird, afterall, they are able to paint their feathers, .. Maybe somehow they have absorbed some of the bloody body fluid when it was soaking in blood... IF SO.. how do I get it out...????????

I don't think I have damamged the individual feathers as number 1, there are too many of them, and number 2 I have scrubbed just as hard on more delicate speices (gaining results mind you) with no ill effects....

I have the pelt soaking in a salt bath tonight.. maybe it will loosen something or even pull some of the color/blood/grease... whatever it is out...

Anyone out there ever run into this with a crane???

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Jon........my sister-in-law is a surgical nurse, and was smart enough at Xmas time to realize I hate to wear sweaters.......so, to my surprise one year I opened my gift to find she had given me a quart of "Haemo-Sol"........to this day, it has been one of the best X mas presants I have ever received besides my full " North West School of Taxidermy " course my mom gave me when I was eight........Heamo-Sol, is the best blood remover I have ever used......it attacks the proteins and haemoglobin in blood, and has, in every case I have had "tough" set blood stains, worked like a charm......I have never had feather distruction, using it, and has saved quite a few mounts for me over the years.........try contacting a local surgical supply company......if that fails, maybe I can help you out......

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jon, I told Nancy years ago about Epo-Grip Blood Out Degreaser, but she told me it made the feathers dull. She insisted Dawn was better. Can't say I never tried. LOL Now the product Bruce describes sounds very good and I'll have to check that one out as well.

4. JonHarleTX

UPDATE..

Well it appears as though the brine soaking helped.. It is to the point where at least I can proceed forward. The down is still tinted pink, but it is willing to fluff now which gives the rest of the plumage a better appearance...

Thanks for the help.
    Jon

5. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Jon.....glad to hear things are looking up...maybe tonight, you will get a good nites sleep!......I am an avid flyfisherman and fly tyer, and many "specialty" feathers can seem to change color when wet......maybe you will find, once the down fluff dries, that it will lighten up for you.......you then may try a peroxide misting via spray bottle for any residual misscoloration

6. JonHarleTX

Thanks everyone for your replies.. It finally got mounted.. Down was still pink, but the out shell of feathers finally came round and started to zip back up.. I guess the salt soak pulled something out... who knows...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cant believe I just posted pictures of my ratty azz work space I call a shop..

And yes, the bottle of wine is empty now.. Sometimes a pain in the butt bird, needs some help!! (heck, they all do)

Jon~

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The wine didn't get my attention Jon, but I gotta wonder about an IV line in the insect control bottle and a bathroom scale. Kinky stuff going on in your shop. LMAO

8. JonHarleTX

HAHAH.. yeah well the scale is for weighing in birds that are priced by weight, such as larger geese and cranes ironically.. I also weigh turkeys for body size...

The insect control bottle has a squirt gun on the end of it.. It works great for tagging humming birds at the feeder when I get excessively bored or have consumed more than one bottle of wine for the alotted 8 hour work day...(okay Im just joking.. I swear!). :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jon~

9. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Very nice Jon......glad it worked out for you......drink that other bottle of wine, and get some sleep!

10. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Jon, I've been in your "shop" and you have been in MINE!! What are you complaining for??? LOL
    As far as pain in the butt mounts... that is why I keep a 6-pack in my thawing fridge, though wine is better, hehe.

When you gonna want me to come skin bird again? The ranch I'm working for is about to pick up with work come November... until then I will have some free time. Let me know when you want me to spend another two days and go through another 50 birds for you...

Wolf

11. JonHarleTX

yep it's Baileys with the coffee in the morning, Wine after lunch and then god for bid I'm still in the shop after 6 it's ameretto...

I'm such a lush..

Jon~

12. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Jon,

Harry Whitehead has a product called Gunner's Magic that he claims is great at getting out blood clots. Next time I get some heads from him, I am going to order a bottle.

13. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

for those interested in Haemo-Sol, here is the contact info

HAEMO-SOL®, INC.
    7301 York Road
    Baltimore, MD 21204
    Phone: 1-800-821-5676
    Local Phone: 410-821-5676
    Fax: 410-828-8461

14. Bruce, thanks for the info as I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

15. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! It looks as if it could walk right out of your shop! What an amazing job!