1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

why oh why

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bobbi Meyer, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

does every bobcat form I use have to be altered? I don't mind the length/girth modifications, but I have to alter length, girth, the neck, the heads are the size of basketballs, and the legs almost ALWAYS have to be sanded down because they think all bobcats have stovepipe legs!!!!! ARGGGHHHH.....OK.....I feel better now that I've vented!!! LOL

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Suck it up Bobbi, it's called taxidermy for a reason.

3. Bobbi Meyer

I'm thinking the sculptors must think the cats are on steroids..."Arnold Schwartzakitty" LMAO

Does anybody have a suggestion for a more "normal" cat form?

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

There are very few lifesize forms on the market that are anatomically correct, mount enough lifesize animals and you learn this very quickly. And besides cats are the most misunderstood animals out here when it comes to forms just due to the amount of skin that let's out after skinning.

5. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

How bout forms by ______________________? ;D tried one yet?

6. nitt

nitt Member

I seem to have this problem with about all lifesize stuff the legs seem to always be to big. Good thing I didn't get spoiled and never have to shave or alter forms that's when you begin to think taxidermy is easy. ::)

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The problem lies with the so-called sculptors casting a carcass for instance, then over compensating for what they think the live animal should look like ... especially those who have these animals as pets, as they tend to fatten up in captivity. It's inevitable just from the fact of the animals lack of activity compared to their wild cousins. And in doing so, this overcompensation leaves us with mannikins that have to be altered.

Also, one Bobcat or Fox, is not every Bobcat or Fox ... each animal is an individual and every mannikin must be altered per animal for fit. It's part of the job. Do it, or do something else. Taxidermy was never meant to be easy. ;)

John.

8. Bobbi Meyer

Oh I'm doing it John...just seems some of the mannikins are ridiculously sculpted...like the musclebound deer forms"...muscles everywhere that don't really exist, thats all I'm saying.

9. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

scrape scratch scratch scrape scratch scratch scrathety ssssssscratch........ Thats what Bobbis shop sounds like this am....... :D

10. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I just test-fit a bobcat with the same problem. I don't always have to alter, though, and I'm very glad for that. Hang in there and aren't you glad you have a place like this to vent?! :D

11. LordRusty

Ohio
    That's very true ... but for someone who altered the bejeezes out of a Coyote mannikin to get what you wanted, to come on and gripe about the obvious, just seems silly to me! ;) It's just something we all know of, are aware of, and deal with every day, and I know you can handle it! ;)

12. Bobbi Meyer

well John, the coyote was for competition...that explains the alterations on that one!! and that was FUN...this isn't!!LOL
    we'll "scratch" at it again when I get home!!!!

glad to see ya back Cuz!

13. Bobbi Meyer

OK ...update.......
    Bobcat 1.....
    Bobbi.....0

The cat won this competition.......now I have to get another hide.......OH SUPER : -(

Most of the cats I've done I've had to alter somewhat.......but this thing.....OMG.

14. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Ok, lets make sure I'm reading this right ;) you had a form that had to be altered,cause your cat wouldn't fit ,and now your having to get another hide? ??? or did you alter the skin instead of the form and screwed it up ::)

15. deerhunt1985

deerhunt1985 Only dead fish go with the flow

say wha????LOL

16. LordRusty

Ohio
    That's ridiculous! I've never heard of anything so absurd! What did you do to the skin that you had to replace it??? Hell, I've made alterations on small to medium size mammals with the skin still on the mannikin! Oye! :eek:

John.

17. What's wrong with the skin Bobbi?

18. Bobbi Meyer

with the wetting it down and trying to get it to fit, it drying out then wetting down again the hair slipped.
    TOTALLY my fault, I take full responsibility for it. With the heat being in the 80's in my garage the cat dried out between fittings (remember I have a full time job as well) the last time I bagged it, and that was probably the biggest mistake I could have made.
    I mishandled the skin and now I'm paying for it.
    DUH ME.
    I'll take my beatings now as I deserve it.
    I've got a replacement being shipped in a week, so I'm good.

19. LordRusty

Ohio
    Oh Bobbi! :eek: Sorry to hear that! :-\ May I offer up a suggestion?

If you can, clear the bottom shelf of your fridge, loosely wrap the animal with plastic, close it up using spring type clothes pins, and placed it in the fridge. You needed a cooler, drier place to store it, and a refrigerator is the best place to do that. You can have an animal in the fridge in various stages of skin prep and mounting - depending on if it was tanned - for up to two weeks or more. It will keep it from drying out on you, and maintain the moistness in the skin.

If need be buy yourself an old, used refrigerator, and keep it just for your Taxidermy work. I have a mini fridge out in my shop where I store my clay, and mixed up hide paste and ear base. It's also a good place to thaw a cape if the weather is warm. A larger fridge is ideal for these sorts of problems. Take it from me .... they work! ;)

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope you can work them out!

John.

20. Bobbi Meyer

OH NO...that means I have to move my beer....you are absolutely right John...no doubt here....its a dumb mistake I made and now I'm eating the profit on the cat.....kinda sucks but again, ALL my fault