1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pick it apart

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mjsandt, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

How did my first antelope turn out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stickn

stickn New Member

it dont look bad at all good for your first one keep it up

3. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Good looking first goat ;D

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

From ten feet away, it looks ok. Upper lips look flat, a touch of clay to give it a more full look, sort botoxin it. Snout looks under detailed, specifically behind and on top of the nostrils. Look at some reference, different angles, you'll get it. Pronghorn antelope are neat critters, with some unique characteristics that require a little different work than a deer.

5. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

The only thing that sort of jumps out at me is the horn bases. It may be the angle of the photo but it looks like they are not even, almost like the skull plate is leaning to one side more than the other. All in all I think it came out very nice. I doubt that the average guy would have anything bad to say about it. Good work and keep challenging yourself. Keep references at hand. The funny thing about the animal world, there are no two animals absolutely alike unless identical twins come into the picture. Once again , fine job.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I must agree ... the eye work needs a lot of improvement. They need more muscle tone/structure, and the eyes themselves are a little too deeply set in the sockets. Also, the eyelashes should be in a downward slope, and not sticking up as they are on your mount. The nose and muzzle appear very flat, with no detail. There is no detail to the center lip cleft or Philtrum on your mount as there is in the live Pronghorn, nor do you have any lower lip showing ... at least I can't see any in your photos.
    [​IMG]

Notice the indentation in the center of the nose area, right in the middle of the top of the nostrils, and how the nostril wings rise up a bit, and the front lobes of the muzzle are plump looking.
    [​IMG]
    It appears that your ear butts are way too low as well. In regards to the ears, the edges are rough, and not very trim and even when compared to those on the live Pronghorn.

The live animal is always the barometer against which we measure the correctness or lack of it in our mounts! ;)

You need to use much better references! There is a lot of room for improvement. ;)

John.

7. dartondude

dartondude New Member

i'd love to have half of lord rusty's photo library ;D

8. DRon

DRon New Member

You can dartondude, for a price $$$$ ;)

9. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the live photo's say it all