1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How thin?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bullbuster, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bullbuster

bullbuster New Member

Just received my new Dakota Pro today and got it mounted up. Started practicing ....WOW. So glad that I bought it! So I have searched and read every old post I can find about shaving...and have read all of OS post 100 times. Lots of great information. My only question is when do I know to stop shaving. I have read about seeing the 'blue color' and I assume this color change is the hair follicles. During my practice this afternoon I took a tanned scrap piece of elk and deer hide down to the point that I could see hair roots. The hair does not pull out so I assume this is OK...but how far is too far and when will the "false cut" happen. I will be doing deer and elk mainly. Any information you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated! Down the road-Brett

2. The hide will be blue on most species.. DON't go to the roots... thats asking for trouble... Bears and pigs are different... keep practicing!

3. You have a long learning curve coming, Like Shelby said, some will turn blue, some you need to go deeper when you see the hairs. There's a big difference between species, what part of the country they come from and the time of year they are killed. The blue you hear about isn't a sharp contrast on winter killed items, it6 would be better describe as a very slight gray, many things you won't actually see any blue at all, you'll actually see a little bit of a tan color change.

Starting out I wouldn't worry about trying to get real thin, concentrate on consistency and good edges, the speed and thin will come with time and practice.

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Keith has a shaving video on the market, with some supplier. Im not sure which supplier though? Hudson, also did one, that used to be on youtube, but I dont have the link. He might be selling it now, also?

Both of these guys, I AM POSITIVE, can shave very well! It is VERY important to get a good foundation, when first learning how to shave. The rest will come with time and experience.

One of you two(or both), tell the man where he can get a copy! ;)

5. George might yell at me, and my feelings just can't handle that :'(

6. paul e

paul e New Member

https://www.taxidermytrainingunlimited.com/KD-Shave_Tan.html

nobody shoot me

i got Keith's a couple of months ago
    very good DVD
    good for any one learning

also good tanning info

Ive been shaving for over 20 plus and i feel the DVD was well worth the purchase

7. wtkiller

wtkiller New Member

Oldshaver what happen to the DVD you where going to make.

8. Thanks paul e, I always figured making a video would be an easy thing, not as easy as you think! I was really out of my element doing that at Randy's shop and doing it the way somebody with just basic equipment could do it. The antelope was real tricky since it wasn't re-hydrated and pickled here. It was Randy's and the way he did it just didn't have the right feel for me. Lot of stopping and starting, but it did turn out pretty good.

9. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

WTkiller, I thought about it, but decided not to make one. Too much going on with my little tanning supply business.

Since Paul E. says Keith's is a good one, that is where I am going to point everyone looking for a shaving video, from now on! I know Paul, and I know he wouldnt say it, if it wasnt true. I have not seen it, but I heard it was a good professional quality video, that is VERY informative. ;)