1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cougar Headdress / Dance costume

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by PLTannery, Jun 30, 2010.

1. I finally figured out how I wanted to do this......

Heres a few pics... I did alot more tweaking but it got too dark for more pics... I'll post up some of the whole assembly tomorrow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All finished..... Last time I use a Cast cougar nose! Holy crap.... they are ugly! Otherwise I really like the expression on this one... and the Customer is really pleased with it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Awesome!! Now you see what I'm up against with the BEAR head on the coat ;)

3. Yep! I saved a SUPER thick black bear for one too.... So that should be fun.. it will weigh alot more than this half a cat...

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Well the problem is, the one I'm making the guy wants to wear..... hunting.

5. ivywolf

ivywolf New Member

That looks neat! I can't wait to see more pictures of it.

6. kinetic

kinetic New Member

neat. is it the whole hide?

7. Nope... Its only Half a Skin... He wanted it cut off so he could wear the "Eagle" Feather Bustle and not have the hide mess up the feathers... THen the tail will come out of the center of the bustle...

8. That is just too awesome for words, love it! :D

9. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Shelby, you need to smile in your pictures... Love the cat..

10. Looks cool! It's a shame you had to waste the bottom half of one of those molded jaws and half a jawset, though...those things aren't cheap.

11. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

I think that's a hint that Schreken wants the jaw ;)

12. I still have the lip and lower jaw I cut off... It was the quicker, easier, more durable way for me.... I would have bought a change out head OM if I would have thought I would use as little of the form as I did instead of a rugshell. But the customer is paying for it so no worries here...

I was afraid if I used clay and the real lips that if it was ever dropped it would be WAY more prone to chipping, cracking and damage, compared to the semi flexible nature of the cast lip and jawset... Plus the pallette is already finished!

13. No I didn't want it but I had someone a while back who requested a quote for a head dress like that (but this was for a faux leopard rather than a real mounted rug) and I just remember thinking to myself what would I do with a leftover half a jawset? I of course figured the entire cost of the jaws into the quote as I knew none of the companies would sell half a jawset!

14. Just posted up some finished pics... I really like it... VERY aggressive and expressive!

15. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

thats pretty sweet... i do/did a little dancing and i do ceremonies.

16. thomas230

thomas230 New Member

These kind of dresses mostyl wear at the triabn dances or if you have any festival. But can we modified it and wear it for halloween day.. I think http://www.halloweencostumesale.com/ it's pretty scary, You have done a good job with the cougar.

17. looking bear

looking bear New Member

I make coyote, wolf, and bear headdresses, but your work outdoes mine. I think the cougar is awesome. I don't use the forms or the jaw sets and just use the tanned hide and make a leather skull cap to go inside. I wish I had the taxidemy skills you have. Great work !!!

18. Ahh, so awesome! I'm hoping to make a headdress of my own at some point here soon,