1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New shop #5....mixed feelings

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dougp

dougp Active Member

:-\ Wellll........after starting my 35th year doing fish full time I'm building what will be my 5th shop. This will be a home shop after spending almost 4 years in a 1500 sq. ft. industrial condo I bought after selling my last home & shop and property. SHEESH....the last 4 years have been absolutely, well, you know.... :mad: since the housing thing and our new administration ::) ::) :p :p :'( :'(

Anyway... I'm downsizing to a home attached [according to code ;D] shop of about 780 sq. ft. I've also got a 2100 sq. ft. basement to help with storage and such.

This shop will be, I expect, where I will finish my career. I'm a little sad and yet excited about the move. I don't like thinking this is the end of the line, but I like the idea of working at home again.
    I hope my customers like the idea too! LOL!!

I've attached some pics ….of the beginning...

Attached Files:

• shop.jpg
      shop.jpg
      File size:
      112.1 KB
      Views:
  2. dougp

dougp Active Member

'nother one ..

Attached Files:

3. dougp

dougp Active Member

more.....gettin' there.

Attached Files:

4. Manny

Manny New Member

Be cheerfull !!!

Beginnings are just that, the start of new things to come.

5. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

good luck to ya

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Doug!!!!

Good luck my friend!!!! I hope that everything comes together. I moved from shop, to basement ,to shop in colorado. LOL. Moving sucks for sure!!!!

Working from home bass will be nice though!!!

Jimmy

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Having the shop attached to the house would be risky business for some of us. The aroma of dead fish was all it took to get my BOSS to approve my putting up a little shop....about 100' from the house. ;D

8. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Doug as nice as your fish look I don't really think the customers will care where your shop is.

Are those 2 x 8 rafters for an open ceiling?

PB

9. dougp

dougp Active Member

Manny, I'm tryin' to be cheerful!! Not so easy sometimes. LOL!! I miss the "good old days" of taxidermy and fishing. Long story........

hodx, thanks. I remember someone once said;"I'd rather be lucky than good." Not sure I agree but wouldn't mind a portion of luck on my plate. ;)

Jimmy, thank you very much! I hope your new home in Colorado is all you want it to be! You're doing some terrific fish work!! Good Luck to you too!

Perca.....I get ya! LOL!! The local codes don't allow operating a business out of a detatched building. I would need 2 acres to allow for that. I'm sitting on only 1 acre. My wife and I have grown to LOVE the smell of drying fish mounts..... ;D ;D money, money, eh? ;)

Thanks Paul, nice of you to say and appreciated. The ceiling will be vaulted but finished in drywall. I'm going "traditional" with the work area and hoping to do some nice stuff with the showroom. I've collected a lot of photos and memorabilia over the years and hope to display most of it.

DougP

10. Good luck with your project. You building it yourself? I love swinging a hammer.

Bruce

11. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    Make this new beginning a positive one with a positive attitude and everything will fall into place as the good Lord intended.

12. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Good Luck Doug, everything will work out great I am sure.

13. Looking great Doug! I agree with Paul, I don't think it will matter where your shop is, your fish look so nice.
    I am in the process of trying to find a new place, in a new town. Finally we sold are place in Ketchikan. We are looking at a place that has a Apartment above the shop and also a cabin rental. We might have to end up building somewhere, if this dose not work out.
    Post pic when your done, I am sure it will be nice.

14. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Doug, I did the same thing 2 years ago. I moved from a commercial location to a shop built behind the house. I absolutely love it!! My wife does also. I can choose my own hours, don't have a sign and tell folks how to get there on my schedule. Most are my regulars with a few new customers added in. I sometimes work late at night when the phone is off and I can relax and get lot's done. Good luck, I think you will enjoy this.

15. Good luck Doug. Everything looks great so far. Like Paul and Travis said they will search for you as your work is fantastic.

16. dougp

dougp Active Member

Timjo, BJones, Randy B, Travis, thanks for the encouragement guys. Much appreciated. I'll post more pics as it progresses.

Bucknut, no, I've hired a builder. No way I could tackle this !!

Travis, I sure hope your plans work for you! Good luck to you and your family!!

Ron, Thanks! Glad your havin' a good time with your home location. I worked out of my last home shop for 26yrs. With the business and raising a family and a mortgage and etc., it got a little claustrophobic at times. LOL!

Thanks again for the kind words.......

DougP

17. I built a 20 by 36 trophy room 2 summers ago and it was quite a project for my son and I. He still talks about that "bonding" experience. I am just finally getting the fireplace done - hopefully this weekend. I will post some photos when that project is complete. I wish I had a better shop area. I work out of a converted bedroom in the basement. Keep posting pics as it comes along.

Bruce

18. Congratulations Doug!

That looks like a great set-up and like others have said, your fish are so good it shouldn't matter where your shop is located.

Best of luck to you!

Kevin

19. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    Doug,

Man, I am excited to see the finished building! There are pros and cons to everything and like you said with the way things are now adays you gotta do what you gotta do. :-\ Stay busy my friend and keep us posted.^matt

20. dougp

dougp Active Member

Bucknut, I'd sure like to see some pics of what you've done. I can't imagine tackling a job like that. Show us what you've done...

Kevin, Matt, thanks! You guys have GOT to come out and visit!! I'll buy the beer!!

here's a few update pics.

Attached Files: