1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"remounting" a duck

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bird artist, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bird artist

bird artist New Member

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been covered, but I did a fairly good search on the topic and could find nothing. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas to share on remounting a duck. I think customer said it was mounted 2 yrs ago, and there's a gross laquer coating on the bill and legs. This duck is special cuz it's a mallard, pintail cross, so I'd rather not leave it to trial and error. I was thinking wrapping it in some damp towels and letting it "sweat" in the fridge checking on it daily? Can I do something to prevent it from slipping? Judging by the way it looks, it's probably still full of body fat too. Any ideas would be deeply appreciated, thanks!!!!
    aaron

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

Submerse the WHOLE bird under warm water with some dawn and a shot of Lysol overnight. You should be able to remove the body etc by the next day. Plan on using a cast head and new feet off perhaps a mallard or pintail. Call me I have a mallard-pintail hybrid head you can use. It may take several freeze thaw hydration cycles as you rework/wheel the skin Hopefully the guy didn't use much borax in the original mount as borax tends to give the skin a "memory" Good Luck, Give me a jingle!

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

wingman knows his stuff ,I had d=to do a remount on a pintail the feet weren't even painted just crammed against the body and hidden with feathers stuck through with a t pin ,Overnight and go SLOWLY especially on body skin if it starts to tear don't panic there are ways ,when resewing all your doing is holding edges together ,chances are there will little or no stretch,may consider gluing depending on pose

4. wingman

wingman Active Member

It will be a "blessing" if the guy DID NOT remove the fat well as the skin wont retain as much "memory" of the first mounting.

5. John L

John L Active Member

Will lacquer thinner remove caulk from the skin and feathers after the overnight soak?

Thanks, John

6. John L

John L Active Member

Can someone let me know about the lacquer thinner?

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It might. It depends on what kind of caulk was used. If it's only latex caulk then it will probably peel right off after soaking in water. I would try that first, and if it works then use that method. Lacquer will dissolve latex caulk, but it can dissolve it TOO well - to where it becomes so liquidy that it can soak into the feathers. If it's silicone I'm not sure if anything will take it off. Lacquer thinner might be worth a try, though.

8. PA

PA Well-Known Member

This is a piece I wrote years ago for relaxing old study skins.
    http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/AVECOL/relaxskins.html

9. OKKKK

i had something in my mind, wanted to ask then i said i wouldn't do it.... but now i can't just sit and .... ::) :-\

so here we go,
    it's a feruginous pochard i shot 2-3 years ago, was the first of this kind for me soo someway somehow i want to adjust it :-X
    at that moment i just washed it, no fleshing well ...some fat removed with scissors and ... then after mounting i just injected them with Formalin 37% no borax or anything else

can i do it?? will work or just damage the poor mount anyway with no result ::) ???

10. wingman

wingman Active Member

Milo, Formalin is a sort of "dessicant" meaning drying agent, it also will make the area injected have a strong "memory" Rehydrating or adjustment after formalin is next to impossible and not reccomended, SORRY!

11. thanks wingman

i'll see if i can accept it like it is or give it a try anyway.. have to think what i have to loose if i try and what if i don't :-\