1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone know anything about rays?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, Jul 2, 2010.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I caught this one in Delaware off a jetty. Anyone know a species name? Or at least what you call them? It was 36 inches wide.

Attached Files:

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

another pic

Attached Files:

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

one more

Attached Files:

4. Only know to be damn careful with them.There is no known cure for any rays venom when stung and they raise there stinger like a scorpion to sting you.

5. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Looks like a Manta Ray...

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

could it be a cownose ray? it looks like the same...
    google pic...

Attached Files:

7. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Looks like a Bat Ray. I caught a huge one last year.
    http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/images/olc/bat_ray.jpg

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

7point a lot of cow nose rays in the bay this year...sure looks like one.......I'm heading down Monday to catch some fish to bring back and work on....what else was biting there??

9. EA

EA Well-Known Member

It actually may be a skate 7pt.. Did it have stinging Spines on it's tail ? Rays have spines , Skates don't.

10. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I'm not sure extreme angler. It had a tail just like the cownose. Long and smooth except the barb at the top. and hodx, we were in Delaware right above Ocean City, MD. There were lots of snapper blues, a couple nice stripers, lots of rays, and several flounder if you could pick em up. We fished the Indian River Inlet in Delaware and the Rt. 50 Bridge in Ocean City, MD. Overall fishing was decent. I know one thing, rays or skates are pains in the butts when you trying to keep them off your hook, because if you hook one, lots of time your line snaps, but they are one very very fun fight.

11. bigtime

bigtime New Member

cownose no doubt about it

12. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

yea i'm pretty sure it is a cownose. it just matches it

13. That barb at the top is the stinger.Thats what a guy has to watch out for. They were fishing them last night on River Monsters.Some of the rays can live in fresh water to from my understanding.

14. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

7 point. it is a Cow Nose Ray. very common in the mid Atlantic. extreme angler. rays have pointed wings, and skates wings are rounded. also, both skates and rays both carry barbs. rays are smooth skinned and skates have a sand paper texture to their skin

15. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks all. And mtnwizzard I will definitely be careful of the barb. I probably could've just cut my leader and let the hook in it but dumb me wanted my gear back so we took it out. Thanks all for the info and if I ever catch another I will just cut my leader.