1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crabs

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by hodx, Jul 3, 2010.

1. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

just a mount I did for a buddys neighbor......

Attached Files:

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

You and your crabs.... ;) Look great. Good job. ;D

3. RokSAN

RokSAN New Member

How did you do that?
    please let me know!
    Thank you!

4. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

they look awesome. when are you going to do a tutorial? i want to mount one.

5. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

been putting pictures together RokSan,7point...need some more pic's and i'll be ready to post how I do it

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

cool. i can't wait.

7. RokSAN

RokSAN New Member

That's good! Thank you!

8. Nice paint job hodx!!! I'm happy to know I'm not the only crustacean nut, lol...

9. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

There are quite a few of us out there believe it or not... LOL

10. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Thanks guys....love doing them crustys......will be collecting some other species from the ocean tommorrow...if i'm lucky...

11. Crab Crazy, and psycho, believe it or not, I'm the only one, that I know of, in the State of Maine that does taxidermy on crustaceans. I know of a couple in New Hampshire, one or two in Massachusetts, a few in the Baltimore Maryland area and one guy in Florida that does them as well. I'm sure there must be some who do it on the west coast but I don't know of any, but I'm sure someone out there must be doing them, and I think there's one or two who do them in the Louisiana Gulf Coast area, but that's all that I know of, off hand anyway... I realize that I may be way wrong on my estimate but that's all that I know of who do them. I'm sure there must be others that no one knows about..??

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Very nice I will have to give one a try!

13. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

9 1/2" from the Why River

Attached Files:

14. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

i know there's a lot of crab and other crustaceans that people mount....really not that hard to do.....i take off the main shell in my mounts and open the big claws and remove all the meat....i inject the legs with DA-DP..... 50-50 mix ...on larger crabs like king,snow and spider crab, i will remove the meat from where the membranes are.......by removing the shell and extracting the meat...they dry in a week....this the way i do it...i know a lot of people just inject them....i just don't like to leave all that meat inside...i mean....why waste good lobster meat

15. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

how do you get the legs apart without smashing them? and do you have a paint schedule you would like to share? haha

16. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/RegulatoryFishEncyclopediaRFE/ucm078750.htm

this page has some large pic's of crabs....7point since ur in md like me....catch some and take some pics....the legs are injected on the small ones...i only remove the meat from big crabs....like a 5' leg to leg spider crab....the claw parts have major meat inside....its easier to show you than explain...this is my method, most people inject or soak in DA...mine dry faster and no smell

17. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

thanks for the tips, i'll have to do one once.

18. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

7point went for a day trip to OC , caught a spider crab and a bunch of calico crabs to mount, we also caught a load of whiting(kingfish),4 sharks,some shad and a tiny sea robin...and still beat the traffic

19. tyler-woody

tyler-woody New Member

Id love to try my hand at a crab but the closest thing we have up here in ILL. are crayfish

20. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

that's awesome. where were you fishing in OC?