1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyone out there have this??

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Jul 3, 2010.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Customer sent a pic of a fat lake trout.....claims it was 35 long with a girth of 30. Tough t0 trigger to pull finding that match from any replica suppliers, if indeed it was 30 inches.

Attached Files:

2. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Den doesn't look like a 30" girth to me, 20" maybe. I bet he read his tape incorrectly.

PB

3. Perk

Perk Deuce, My grouse dog

I caught one last month that weighed 30# 11oz. It was 38" long with a 28" girth. Hope that helps.

4. TR

TR Member

He should of took the dark glasses off before he read the tape. Nice fish though. To bad for the fin clip.

5. Tyler M

Tyler M New Member

30" Girth? ::)

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Dennis, Here's a couple of pics of a 32 pound Lake Michigan laker I did for a customer several years ago. It was a HOG as you can see. This one was 39" long by a 28.5" girth (I measured it myself after thawing). As you can see it is considerably fatter than your potential customer's fish. Feel free to use these pics to show your customer. If I were you I'd try to convince him that IF that fish was 30" girth that it HAD to be much longer. Maybe he'll do a trade-off for length over some width as you already know finding a replica THAT girthy is going to probably be impossible. He released it I guess? Lake Michigan fish? If so, we all know what happened to that fish eventually!!!

Attached Files:

7. FishArt

...And another pic...

Attached Files:

8. den007

den007 Active Member

Thanks for the advice. You all and I know that was no 30 inches, but how can you call a fisherman a liar? (or are they synonymous?)
    Customer is now rethinking the whole process.....said it was a real big 20 pounder. Now, according to that hallowed fomula L x g x g /800.......a 30 inch girth is not possible. It was probably 20 and I think I can convince him. Marty, to you skin mount that greasy beast? Oh, Yecchhhhh.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

If they brought along some cool, refreshing Leinenkugel beer, which is standard for lake Michigan charters, maybe he measured his thigh rather than the fish.

10. FishArt

Dennis - Greasy??? You ain't kidding!!! That thing was SO greasy I don't think I could have skinned it out w/o lots of powdered borax. Even so, I STILL remember how TIRED my arms were and how hard that it was to hold when skinning. I cast everything btw (Gary Bruch would be PROUD of me - lol!) The ONLY thing "real" on that fish was the skin.

I hate when potential replica jobs go into the "re-thinking" phase. Next thing you'll find out is he's going to do it "when finances are better "-lol!