1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #28 (7/10-8/10)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Jul 6, 2010.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey Justin,

Let me preface this by saying that gravity has no real bearing on the ears of most predatory mammals. Their ears are just not long enough that gravity would have an affect on them. There is also a limit to the forward thrust any given mammal is capable of. And what we have here, are ears that are way too far forward, and a little too high setting on the head. They need to be moved back a bit, as well as down a bit.

What also seems to be happening here, is the apparent lack of an attachment point for the ears to the top of the head. What this particular Cougar needed more than rolls of clay was a buildup of the crown, or top, of its head. I say this because the top of the head between the ears looks awfully narrow, small ... almost like a "pin head."

What's missing is the point of attachment as pointed out here ...
    [​IMG]

The rolls of clay you placed in front of the ears has negated this attachment point ... making it non-existent.

Here is a big Cougar, with his ears at full alert, and big as his head is, notice it is the head that is large, with a high crown - center portion.
    [​IMG]

This big fellow not only has a large head, with a high crown, but also a collection of brow ridges. Notice though their placement on the top of the head. Notice too, the ears are drawn up close to the center ... as close to the center as they are capable.
    [​IMG]

Here is a large Tom Cougar, crouched low, but with his attention and ears at full alert. This is an example of my statement that the ears have a limited forward range of motion.
    [​IMG]

Another feature I would like everyone take note of ... the various ear lengths seen in all these different Cougars! There is no real "standard" for ear length based on one's assumption for what they are "supposed to be." The one thing that is consistent is the setting of the ears on the head.

Notice the bottom sides of the ears and where they are placed on this alert Cougar.
    [​IMG]

The final to alert poses to offer is a running Cougar with a fixed alert attention, and a leaping Cougar, with high alert ears and attention.
    [​IMG]

Even with ears at an extreme alert position, notice the placement of the bottom edge of the ears ... consistent with all the others shown. Also notice here the size and placement of the brow wrinkles between the ears on the crown of the forehead.
    [​IMG]

I hope this has been some help to you.

John.

John.

2. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

John,
    You certainly have a way of illustrating reference. Once you posted that it was very clear. Made what changes I could. There is some slippage in the front of each ear so I have watch what I expose. Here's the changes....
    There is no clay in front of the ears.
    Thanks for taking the time out to critique the cat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yo! Looks MUCH better! Now ... make the right ear match the left one in placement, and angle. It's a minor adjustment but it will make a world of difference. If you are having trouble seeing it - it happens to ALL of us ;) - look at the face in a mirror ... a hand held is fine, and you'll see what I mean. Then groom the top of his head, making his hair pattern nice and even. Other than that ... rockin'!

John.

4. MIKEO-PA

MIKEO-PA Mike and Jen Olszanowski, pa

just sent this one out. it will come off the stand and hang on the wall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Justin, the cougar looks much better. Thanks for Mvaden and John for the advice. I think it is great to post critiques when you ask the peson posting if they want it. I am about to mount a cougar and the advice and refernce pic's John posted are a great help.

6. Alan B

Alan B Member

Here is a LG Nevada Cat (42lbs) had to do some major alterations to a research Mannikin ;D

Attached Files:

7. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

MikeO, your customer had to have been pleased, nicely done. I've seen Stones in BC but never had the money to hunt them.

8. MIKEO-PA

MIKEO-PA Mike and Jen Olszanowski, pa

he was. he is such a down to earth person. you would never know he had $$. he is good client to mike. i think he had to go back twice to connect with it. imagine paying for that trip twice!

9. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

Here is a mount I took to the Texas show at Kerrville last month.

Attached Files: