1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1913 Carl Akeley Method of Animal Taxidermy illustrated

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Heath Cline, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Anybody ever see this article ???
    I found it online & bought it. There is 5 total pages & 9 pictures. The article was taken out of a magazine, I wish it was still in the original magazine but thought it will still be worth having anyways !!
    I can't wait to get it !!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Heath, great find. I'd like some copies if you can scan them in. Just send them full res to my e-mail. Would be a great addition to my ever growing collection of "stuff". Great read! Thanks for posting them! ;)

John.

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Yes I have seen it, it is a nice piece. Back in the early 1980's I started going through the old "Readers Guide to Periodical literature" and other index's and attempted to find every article on taxidermy ever printed in a mainline magazine. Since then I have used multiple other searching methods, as well as EBay and added significantly to what I had. At one time I had an idea that the NTA should have had a national Library and even made a presentation at the Richmond board meeting layingout how such a library would be funded and run, and even had a piece in Outlook the publication of the NTA. A few years later I realized it was for naught and simply holed up and continued to collect. I haven't found time to do much with all the information aside from help a few researchers working on various articles, books, or dissertations, and then contributing pieces here on the Taxidermy.net. Through this medium, one can connect to those who truly love the history of taxidermy and its' past masters. In the spirit of Akeley, here is a small set of citations that either were authored by Akeley, or by a firend, or at least mentioned him in the text. During this same time span there were at least two to three times as many citations on other taxidermists at other museums, but as this post is about Akeley, I will only list those citations. Notice the piece by Platt, and that recently uncovered by Lord Rusty and posted on the Taxidermy History venue is listed. The first paragraph is a summation for this section in my unpublished Annotated Bibliography which is a work in progress.

Period 3: The Carl Akeley Era
    1908 - 1926

Perhaps no taxidermist ever accomplished as much as Carl Akeley did in so short a span. Many of the inventions or techniques credited to him may not have been original, but all were popularized by this master. He had an "aura" about him which could command an audience far better than any taxidermist of his time. With this tool, he was essentially able to bring

taxidermy to a level where it truly was considered an art form. He pulled off numerous "coups", often going above the level of the director of a museum, to Trustees in order to fund exhibit halls or African field trips. Dying in the field at the height of his career made him larger than life.

[Akeley, C. E.] 1908. Proceedings of the American Association of Museums held May 5-7 at Chicago Field Museum published in Volume 2, pages 57-58.
    Short notice that Akeley presented a paper, illustrated by lantern slides, on modern methods in taxidermy. Following this was a testimonial by Ward which has been quoted many time.

Beasley, W. L. 1910. Modeling African mammals. Scientific American, 103:10-11.

Details the work of Frederick Blaschke, an eminently skilled sculptor-taxidermist working at the American Museum of Natural History. Blaschke was Hungarian in origin and had trained with some of the best sculptors in the world including Rodin. It is likely that Blaschke was responsible for some of the techniques Akeley is credited with.

Platt, J. 1913. Making wild animals live forever. Technical World, 20:90-94.

Nicely written piece about Akeley, his methods, and the planned African Hall at the American Museum of Natural History. Illustrates an Akeley bronze and also a series of five pictures that show the exact procedure used by Akeley to mount an antelope.

Walton, W. 1914. The artist-taxidermist and the great African Hall of the American Museum of Natural History. Scribner's Magazine, 56:555-558.

Description of the layout and planning of the African Hall, complete with a tribute to Akeley and his methods

Wilhelm, D. 1915. A wonderful preserver of wild animals. American Magazine, 79:56-57.

Testimonial to Carl Akeley, his methods, ideals and dedication.

Akeley, C. E. 1921. Autobiography of a taxidermist. World's Work, 37:425-437 or World's Work, 41:177-195.

Akeley, C. E. 1923. In brightest Africa. Memorial edition. Garden City Publishing Co., Inc., Garden City, New York. xv + 267 pp.

Essentially an autobiography of Akeley, penned from conversations with Akeley by the writer. Much of the text concerns hunting in Africa for exhibit specimens for both the Field Museum and the American Museum of Natural History.

Akeley, Carl. 1925. Lion Spearing. Mentor 12: 47-50.

Akeley, C. 1926. African Hall. A monument to primitive Africa. Mentor, 13(12):10-22.

In his own words, Carl Akeley describes his dreams and plans for the great African Hall at the American Museum of Natural History.

Akeley, C. 1926. Carl Akeley's own story. Mentor, 13(12):23-32.

Akeley, C. 1926. Have a heart. Mentor, 13(12):47-50.

Editorial written by Akeley stating his views on the need for a new outlook on African game to curtail sport hunting and, in some cases, to preserve a species entirely.

White, S. E. 1926. The making of a museum. How hunter, sculptor, painter and taxidermist combine in composing big game groups. Mentor, 13(12):6-9.

Brief statement encouraging the true Akeley method of creating a diorama that all people involved in making the exhibit are involved in fieldwork where the reference material is collected, i.e., taxidermists, background painters, plantmakers, etc.

Anonymous. 1927. Carl E. Akeley - Naturalist, explorer and inventor. Scientific American, 136:184-185.

Tribute to Carl Akeley considered the Michelangelo of American taxidermy. Includes eight photographs from the Akeley file.

Dewey, C. L. 1927. My friend "Ake". Nature Magazine, 10:387-391.

Personal recollections about Akeley by Dewey, who worked with him at the Field Museum. This article contains the best account of the method employed for mounting the two bull elephants at this museum somewhat different method than the American Museum of Natural History specimens.

Fisher, C. 1927. Carl Akeley and his work. Scientific Monthly, 24:97-118.

Well-written mini-biography of Carl Akeley using the earlier article written by Akeley in Mentor (1926) and Akeley's biography combined with personal recollections. Well illustrated and contains a number of plates not found elsewhere in print.

Osgood, W. H. 1927. The work of Carl E. Akeley in Field Museum of Natural History. Field Museum of Natural History, Chicago. 51 pp.

Includes plates of work primarily done between the years of 1896-1909 when Akeley worked in the Field Museum: 1 portrait, 38 plates of mounts or groups, and 9 bronzes. Reprinted by John Moyer in the 1970s.

Akeley, Delia J. 1928. "J. T., Jr." The Biography of an African Monkey. The Macmillan Company, New York. 252 pp.

Akeley, Mary L. Job. 1929. Carl Akeley's Africa. The Account of the Akeley Eastman Pomeroy African Hall Expedition of the American Museum of Natural History. Dodd, Mead & Company, New York. xix + 321 pp. + 70 plates.

Essentially excerpts of Akeley's biography "In Brightest Africa" with a number of original photographs.

Akeley, D. J. 1929. A table from elephant's ear. Mentor, 17:33-34.

Rockwell, R. H. 1929. Adventures in sculpture-taxidermy. From skin-stuffing apprentice days to later years as Carl Akeley's assistant. Asia, 29:22-29, 72-74.

Mini-biography of Rockwell tracing his beginnings of taxidermy with Fred Saunter in New York, through the time at Ward's and the U.S. National Museum. The brunt of the article details the last four years he worked at the American Museum of Natural History and his African trip in 1926-27 with Akeley.

Akeley, Delia J. 1930. Jungle Portraits. The MacMillan Company, New York. x + 251 pp. + 17 plates.

Anonymous. 1930. Ward's Natural Science Establishment. Science, 72:430-431.

Short story reprinted from the New York Sun marking the end of Ward's Natural Science Establishment in Rochester, which was consumed by fire. Brief mention was made of its place in museum history and of "graduates", listing a number and emphasizing Akeley for his contribution to taxidermy.

Tracy, H. C. 1930. American naturalists. E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc., New York. viii + 282 pp.

Popular book detailing the life of a number of famous naturalists including Wilson, Audubon, Hornaday, Roosevelt, Akeley, etc.

Anonymous. 1931. Sculpture and taxidermy join forces. Scientific American, 144:162-163.

Short article on the Jonas Brothers studio in Yonkers, New York, describing its activities to catering to large and small museums. One series of photos shows the mounting of an adult walrus by a modified "Akeley Process" to be exhibited in a walrus group in the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.

Anon. 1937. Akeley’s Monuments are Bongo, Gorillas, Zebras, Antelopes (Photography taken by Mr. Bourges of three Large Mammal Dioramas). Life 2(21): 10-11, 12, 56-59

Akeley, M. L. J. 1940. The wilderness lives again. Carl Akeley and the great adventure. Dodd, Mead & Company, New York. xiv + 411 pp.

The basis of the book is the autobiography by Carl Akeley "In Brightest Africa". Probably half of the text is directly quoted from this earlier book. Mary L. Jobe fills in the rest of the story with details left out by her husband and adds information, making this text much more complete.

Akeley, Mary L. Job. 1950. Congo Eden. A Comprehensive Portrayal of the Historical Background Aspects of the Great Game Sanctuaries of the Belgian Congo with the Story of a Six Months Pilgrimage throughout That Most Primitive Region in the Heart of the African Continent. Dodd, Mead & Company, New York. xxvi + 356 pp. + 14 Plates.

Strong, R. M. 1956. In retrospect. Lore, 7(1):28-32.

Remembrances of the history around the beginnings of the Milwaukee Public Museum including the first director William Morton Wheeler and Carl Akeley.