1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Syn-oil replacement

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by boarhunter67, Jul 11, 2010.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of tanning agents out there, but I've always mixed syn-oil tan with curatan because that's what my teacher used. Now it looks like syn-oil is no longer available. What is the closest thing to it? Liquatan?

2. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I am very picky about tans, and I tried some syn oil from van dykes and really liked it. I've got enough left for maybe another 7 foxes. I am in the same dept- can I still find syn oil somewhere, or what can I use that will satisfy my pickyness?

Syn oil is very stretchy on it's own, yet doesn't shrink hardly at all ( like a good synthetic tan). Much better than quik-n-easy and liquatan. I have even used pro plus oil after the syn oil application, then dried and broken soft ( not commercial garment soft, but pretty nice nonetheless) fox hides easily.

Soooo... Headquarters Supply has this new Carolina FD rub on tan, and there is McKenzies tan, neither of which I have tried.

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I got an email from Old Shaver and looked at what he has. It sounded good, but I don't do the volume to order that much so I ordered some JRTS and Liqua-tan. I will try both of those and hopefully one of these will work as well or better.